Wednesday, June 17, 2015

2015 DVR Bloodletting

The DVR is dead.

Remember 2008? Netflix was offering online content as a free bonus for renting the DVDs. Amazon was a site for buying stuff. Hulu barely looked like a step up from illegal streaming sites. HBO had its series under lock and key. People still called their DVRs Tivo. It was a simpler time. An obsessive TV watcher could sum up a year's TV viewing experience simply by going through his DVR list.
I've been living in 2008 for a while now, and why wouldn't I? Heather Ledger was still alive (for some of it at least). Conan was still a promising replacement for Jay Leno on The Tonight Show. Mad Men was still winning Emmys.
Since 2012, one of my favorite annual traditions on this excuse for the ways I waste my time I call a blog has been my DVR bloodletting. It's when I make a list of what I'm watching, assess why I'm watching the shows, and cut ties with the ones that aren't worth it. I think there's tremendous personal value to this. If left unchecked, I'll watch a full season of Outsourced because I watched the pilot. That's a problem.
By now, even having cable makes me feel like a relic. Pretending like my DVR contains all the series that I watch and love in a year is short-selling just how much time I spend watching TV and doesn't include a significant number of my favorite shows. So, it's time to get with the present and update how I do things. I'm keeping the "DVR Bloodletting" name though, because "2015 Shows That I Watch on TV or Online Either When They First Come Out or Later from Netflix, But Before the New Season Actually Airs" isn't as catchy.
I'll divide the shows into basic categories and, mostly for my own amusement, include a [ ] to explain how I'm watching the show, which should give some insight as to what means of watching I have available. You'll notice that "channels" like Showtime (Shameless), BBC America (Orphan Black) and Amazon Prime (Transparent) are missing. I dream of a day when I can afford all the networks I want.

Past Editions:
2014
2013
2012

Absolute Locks to Stay
(Shows that will not be leaving my DVR under any circumstance or get priority viewing by online means)

The Americans [via DVR] - One of the very best shows on TV. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys are superb.
Better Call Saul [via DVR] - I started it out of obligation to Breaking Bad and ended the season loving it as its own show.
Brooklyn Nine Nine [via DVR] - It didn't make the leap I was hoping for this season. It's still safe because it's still funny.
Fargo [via DVR] - It hasn't been on since my last Bloodletting. It's back in the fall and there's no chance I'll miss it.
Game of Thrones [via HBOGo] - I have to say, it's so much nicer and easier to be keeping up with this weekly rather than needing to binge.
Girls [via HBOGo] - This was never a show that was meant to age well, but it still completely works for me.
Hannibal [via DVR] - The prettiest show on TV and the most baffling to be on network TV.
Last Week Tonight [via HBOGo] - The Daily Show is too hard to keep up with and John Oliver is a singular talent that I can't go without.
Louie [via DVR] - Impossible to categorize or substitute.
The Middle [via DVR] - The model of network comedy consistency. There's almost never a bad episode.
Orange is the New Black [via Netflix] - After this last season, I'm completely in.
Silicon Valley [via HBOGo] - I devoured the first season when I first saw it. Season 2 was just as good.
True Detective [via HBOGo] - There's no chance the second season will catch me off guard the way the first season did, but the cast alone will be enough to make this a priority.
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt [via Netflix] - Probably the least deserving of a lock status on my list, but I predict it will be unleashed on Netflix for season 2. I can't wait!
Veep [via DVR] - The sharpest dialogue of any show on TV. It worries me that Armando Ianucci won't be back for next season. I'm going to believe that the writing staff and cast can nearly keep up the same quality.

Going Down with the Ship
(Shows that I'm only watching because I've watch this long and I'm a completionist)
Community [via Yahoo] - I don't know where to put this. Community should be done after this year's finale, but, like a horror movie villain, I'm not going to believe it's gone until every piece of it is torn apart. I still revere the show. It's time to end...except for a movie, of course.
House of Cards [via Netflix] - I can't stop even though I want to. Season 3 was a step up from a pretty disappointing second season. One of these days I'll have plans around Valentine's Day and will choose to skip House of Cards altogether.

80/20
(Shows that I probably won't stop watching, but I could on a whim)
Archer [via DVR] - I like it. I don't love it. No sense in stopping.
The Big Bang Theory [via DVR] - As long as it's the highest rated comedy on TV, I won't consider abandoning it.
Blackish [via DVR] - It's in a secure time slot on a stable night that I'm not about to shake up.
Daredevil [via Netflix] - The first season exceeded my expectations. Despite the darkness, it's a very fun show.
Fresh Off the Boat [via DVR] - Constance Wu is a revelation. By next year, this could be locked up. With an abbreviated first season, I'm not ready to place it there yet.
Girl Meets World [via DVR] - Nostalgia is a powerful thing. They've found their sweet spot to appease both the young and old millennials. I like it more than I should.
Halt and Catch Fire [via DVR] - The first season improved markedly. I doubt there will be more than this second season. I'm already committed for that much.
Modern Family [via DVR] - I think I've softened to Modern Family. It knows what it is and the problematic relationships in the show (cough Cam and Mitch cough) weren't as bad this year.
Saturday Night Live [via DVR] - Nothing left for me to say about the institution. I like the current cast. That's all I need.
Tosh.0 [via DVR] - It's as much a tradition as anything else and very easy viewing.
The Walking Dead [via DVR] - The most popular show on television. No, I'm not going to stop watching. Besides, it's too interesting to track the ups and down of each season.

One Wrong Move
(Shows that I will gladly drop mid-season if something goes awry)
@ Midnight [via DVR] - This is sort of a cheat. I record each episode and watch based on who's on.
Agent Carter & Agents of SHIELD [via DVR] - I don't think Marvel will let this grow much more than it already has and I'm mostly indifferent by now.
American Ninja Warrior [via DVR] - Technically, my roommate is recording it. I like to watch when I can. I could just as easily forget it exists though.
Arrow [via DVR] - I'm getting superhero overload. Arrow stalled out in season 3. There's a very real possibility I'll switch over to The Flash by next season and never look back.
The Last Man on Earth [via DVR] - It started off so strong and fell a lot. The end of the season promised some changes. Depending on how those work out, I could either be fully back in or completely turned off.
Married [via DVR] - I'm pretty sure I want Judy Greer and Nat Faxon to succeed so much that I keep watching this.
The Mindy Project [via DVR] - The switch to online will make it less convenient and I assume there will be budget cuts that reconfigure the cast again. That's worrisome.
New Girl [via DVR] - I lost its hour-mate (The Mindy Project) and Damon Wayans Jr. It can't afford to start off slowly.
Scorpion [via DVR] - It's always been one episode away from me dropping it. Scorpion is very easy to watch. It would just as easy to forget to watch.

Series Ended/Cancelled
(Shows that have ended and I can't continue even if I wanted to)
I'll start by saying that this was a rough year for beloved shows. I have a few gaping chasms to fill.
A to Z [via DVR] - The clever concept and cute cast couldn't overcome mediocre to bad writing.
The Bridge [via DVR] - I won't miss it even though it was much improved in its second season.
Cougar Town [via DVR] - Oops. I still haven't gotten to the series finale. I really struggled to get to the finish line with this one. It never recovered from the shift to TBS when I look back at it.
The Jinx [via HBOGo] - Technically, it was never going to have a second season. Still, I wanted to mention this docu-series because it was incredibly good.
Looking [via HBOGo] - I wasn't sold on it in the first season but I really grew to like Looking in season 2. I'll miss it.
Mad Men [via DVR] - I had a lot of time to prepare for the end of Mad Men. That didn't make it any easier.
Mulaney [via DVR] - The only show I outright hate-watched. I couldn't believe how little I enjoyed it.
Parenthood [via DVR] - Such a sweet show. I need a Jason Katims TV show on the air at all times.
Parks & Recreation [via DVR] - It had a pretty fantastic epilogue season. It still hasn't hit me that it won't be coming back.
Selfie [via DVR] - You know, it was starting to figure itself out by the time ABC pulled the plug. Too little too late.
Sons of Anarchy [via Netflix] - I didn't watch it live, but I watched it not that long after the finale aired (a couple months). All I can say is that by the time it ended, I welcomed it to finally conclude.

Catch You Later
(Shows that I'm in no hurry to stay current on but eventually will)
Garfunkel & Oates [via Netflix] - I don't have IFC, otherwise, what I saw on Netflix would be enough to follow new episodes.
The League [via Netflix] - If I had FXX, I'd still be keeping up with it new. Sadly, I don't.
Maron [via Netflix] - I'm ok with binging this in a weekend a year late. There's not enough to any single episode normally to be satisfying.
Rectify [via Netflix] - I love this show a lot. I hate not having Sundance Channel because I want to see more now. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it a disservice by binging it instead of experiencing each episode by itself.

Bye Felicia!
(Shows that I've had enough of and doubt I'll ever return to)
The Blacklist [via Netflix] - I watched all of the first season on Netflix in time to catch almost all of the second season if I wanted to. I then opted not to.
The Comedians [via DVR] - I wanted to love this so much. I've seen this show before and better though, be it Curb Your Enthusiasm or any other "inside Hollywood" show or movie.
Gotham [via DVR] - I didn't dislike this. It never got much better than it started and I don't know what show it wants to be, even still.
Lip Sync Battles [via DVR] - I started a DVR series recording. So far, I've watched the Anne Hathaway/Emily Blunt episode and that's it. It's a solid show, but not my tempo.

If I Only Had That Channel
(Some of the shows that would be locks if I had a good way to watch them*)

*There's a certain accessibility threshold that I don't like crossing. I don't like to torrent and I typically can't stand online options with degraded quality or from dubious sources.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia [via DVDs] - I've accepted that I'll buy the seasons on DVD when they are available. Stupid FXX.
You're the Worst [via DVR, when it was available] - I was able to watch the first season and grew to enjoy it. Alas, I don't have FXX and I'm not sure where else I'll be able to find it.
Transgender - I don't know when I'll get a chance to watch this Amazon Prime gem. I fully intend to get to it eventually though.
Shameless - I miss this show so much. Not enough to buy the DVDs, but close.
Dr. Who - I'm ok with catching up before a new season begins. If it was more accessible, I'd certainly keep up.
Orphan Black - Tatiana Maslany is incredible. I've only seen the first season. I'd like to see more.

That's roughly 59 shows when I began. I only knocked it down to 35  with 4 that I'm ready to find on Netflix. That's a huge increase since last year. To be fair, I kind of expanded the parameters. That invalidates any comparison to previous years. It's pretty amazing that with all the great series that ended this year, that there's so much great TV still left.

No comments:

Post a Comment