Saturday, March 5, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Disney's The Kid

The Pitch: What would it be like if you met yourself as an 8 year old?
How I Came Into It: This took forever to get around to because it's more difficult to look for than I expected. Is it The Kid? Is it Disney's The Kid? Who knows. It became quickly apparent when I began watching it that I had, in fact, seen this before, but I forgot enough of it to feel new.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is a great mid-level movie cast. Bruce Willis at the top. Prevalent, likable actors like Emily Mortimer, Lily Tomlin, Chi McBride, and Jean Smart. A fun "before they were big" appearance by Melissa McBride. This kind of movie is directly in my sweet spot. I love a good story about living the life you always wanted. So yeah, this movie beats you over the head with the sweetness and the message and I don't really care. There's something about big Russ excitedly telling little Rusty "We're gonna be a pilot" that will get me every time I watch it.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Spencer Breslin is a little too cute in this. I don't want to say precocious, but I'm thinking it. You can only ask so much of a child actor though. Beyond that, any amount of subtlety would've been nice. The audience has to do no work at all to come away with the message.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment