Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Zookeeper

The Pitch: Paul Blart: Animal Whisperer
How I Came Into It: Most simply put, I like Kevin James. I'm torn over different aspects of him. I don't necessarily love anything he's been in, TV or movies. But ultimately, I like him. I don't use "a Kevin James movie" as a pejorative. I've seen Paul Blart: Mall Cop and Here Comes the Boom, so I knew exactly what to expect from this movie going in.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This movie is aware of exactly what it is. It's a romantic comedy that happens to have talking animals. James gets to do a lot of physical comedy. He gets a bunch of his friends and random other well known actors to voice the animals. And, he basically becomes his character from Hitch. Rosario Dawson confirms that she has chemistry with everyone. It's nice to see Leslie Bibb, although I prefer when she gets a role that's a little more nuanced.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's a movie that knows it's silly, which is fine if I like the silliness that it has to offer. I don't. There's nothing clever about it or surprising. Like all of his movies, this is completely amiable and that's about it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment