Friday, March 4, 2016

Delayed Reaction: T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous

The Pitch: We have these IMAX cameras and we need something to do with them. Let's just go to a museum and see what happens.
How I Came Into It: The concept of IMAX is lost on people these days. It's just a shorthand for seeing a movie on a big screen to most people. It's actually an entire format. It has its own cameras and films. Since 2000 or so, movies have been converted to fit IMAX in the way that movies are converted to 3D after filming. Not that many movies are shot entirely in IMAX and a lot of those initial short films* were educational. Hence, T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous. This played primarily in Science Centers, didn't hit a theater count of 150 at any point, and was tracked in theaters until 2014. What that adds up to is barely enough to make my list of movies to see. Getting that DVD from Netflix, I've never want more for a rental to come with a catalog of every time that disk has been sent out, because I can't imagine this is a popular one.

*No major full length feature has every been shot entirely in IMAX. Some, like Christopher Nolan's movies have a few minutes shot with IMAX cameras, but that's about it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) As soon as I started watching this, I had the vaguest of memories of seeing this on a field trip back when I was, I guess, 11 or 12. The trippy nostalgia trip alone was worth seeing it. And that's it.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This isn't a movie. It's an educational featurette. The acting it bad. The effects don't hold up. The story is absurd. Me not seeing it in IMAX did it no favors. This isn't good and it wasn't supposed to be.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment