Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Spy Game

The Pitch: Robert Redford is a CIA agent who just can't retire until he saves Brad Pitt, one of his spies.
How I Came Into It: I was expecting something more adversarial between Redford and Pitt. I'm not sure why, exactly. I don't remember this movie coming out at all.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I like when Robert Redford treats being in a movie like he's doing it a favor. He knows what he needs to give for this role. He's not going to do anything more than that. It's up to the director or production as a whole to elevate the rest of it. This is only slightly different from the "movie star" move of "do what you do and expect the production to work around you" (i.e. Will Smith).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The downside to Redford's approach is that the whole movie felt disinterested. There was no sense of stakes the whole time. It's wasn't a heady movie either. A lot of people were going through the motions. I get the sense that the end is supposed to be more Usual Suspects than it was.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment