Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Club 50 Wrap-Up: 2001

Years Completed:
19891995 | 2001 | 2003 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013

The year 2001 was the start of something big. Coming off a rather humdrum 2000, the studios were all ready for the next phase. By my count, 2001 alone started 6 major franchises, many of which have defined Hollywood ever since. There was the first Harry Potter movie (8 movies, $2.4 billion domestic, $7.7 billion worldwide, with the Fantastic Beasts series still to come), which passed James Bond as the biggest franchise of all time (not adjusted for inflation). Then there's the largest animated franchise ever that got it's start that year: Shrek* (4 films, not to mention Puss in Boots, $1.27 billion domestic, $3.96 billion worldwide). Lord of the Rings, which took over the world with its initial trilogy ($1.04 billion domestic, $2.92 billion worldwide) and still did quite well with The Hobbit movies ($820 million domestic, $2.94 billion worldwide). Oh, and I haven't even gotten to arguably the most important franchise: a little movie called The Fast and the Furious (7 movies, $1.29 billion domestic, $3.9 billion worldwide), that just had its biggest movie in 2015, 5th highest grossing movie of all time. No one would've predicted that in 2001. Ocean's Eleven and Spy Kids each had multiple sequels as well as attempted reboots. This was such a huge year and even bigger in hindsight.

*Let it be know that with the fifth installment coming up, Ice Age will, somehow, pass Shrek worldwide, but for now, this counts.

While only 7 of the movies in the top 50 in 2001 were sequels, 20 of them have had sequels since. Perhaps more telling, 15 of the top 17 movies are the ones who have had sequels. Studios chased those successes hard.

With all these franchises dominating the box office, there wasn't nearly as much room for the Oscar players. Only 3 of the 5 nominees for Best Picture showed up in the top 50 (A Beautiful Mind, The Return of the King, Moulin Rouge!). It is worth noting that Gosford Park (#59) and In the Bedroom (#66) weren't far out thanks to the Oscar bump.

To wind down each year as I complete them, I'm going to hand out a few superlatives or anecdotal awards to highlight some of the highs and lows of the year's top 50 box office earners.

First Seen: Jurassic Park III
I can't be fair about this movie. I've seen it one time, in theaters. That day, I got my braces put on then went to Outback Steakhouse, where my teeth hurt too much to eat much of anything then went to see this movie but again, my teeth hurt too much to get any snacks. I don't remember much about the movie, just the hate I feel for that day.

Last Seen: Spy Game
Could that title be any more generic? No wonder I didn't realize I hadn't seen it yet.

Happiest Surprise: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
This is an almost impossible decision. It came down to two movies: Ocean's Eleven and The Fellowship of the Ring. Ocean's Eleven I saw on video with my family and was incredibly impressed. I remember thinking there's no way that the master plan could hold up under scrutiny. It's now one of my favorite movies of all top (in my top 10, easy). Despite that, few movies have ever blown me away like The Fellowship of the Ring. It was like my Star Wars. I just couldn't believe that movie existed.

Biggest Disappointment: The Others
There weren't a lot of good movies to choose from for this. It was basically The Others or The Royal Tennebaums. While The Royal Tenebaums began my continued perplexion over the critical love affair for Wes Anderson (Seriously, I don't get his movies), I had to go with The Others. This wasn't that far removed from The Sixth Sense, so I was looking too hard for the twist. When that didn't impress me, that moved the movie into disappointment territory.

Looked Better Then: The Mummy Returns
Good god, those Scorpion King graphics. Those look awful now. Distractingly awful.

Looks Better Now: The Fast and the Furious
You could really go for any of the movies I mentioned that spawned empires, but let's be honest, only one of those is the correct choice. Who would've guessed that this Point Break rip-off would still be going, 15 years later and be bigger than ever? Like, taking over the world big.

Favorite: Ocean's Eleven
I can't say enough good things about this movie. It's one of my favorite ever. Steven Soderbergh assembled an absurdly good cast who all are having a blast. The script is funny, clever, and underplayed. I can't think of a movie that I've quoted more than this one. It's almost beside the point that the plan for the heist is actually well structured. I love this movie. I think I'm going to watch it again right now.

2nd Favorite: A Knight's Tale
You see, 2001 is a special year for me. Not only is Ocean's Eleven one of my very favorite movies. A Knight's Tale is too. The mix of Heath Leger, HBO replay ubiquity, and poetic quotability have forever burned this into my heart/soul/brain. I'm not a great memorizer, but there's been times when I could quote all of Chaucer's speeches. I love the hell out of this movie. Virtually any other year, this would been my top pick.

3rd Favorite: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
If I was picking the most important movie, this would be the no question pick. This is “only” my third favorite Lord of The Rings movie and my first two picks are all timers, so third will have to do.

Honorable Mention:
Rat Race
It's a stupid movie, but I love it.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
I've long said that they should've waited until all the books were written before doing these movies. Despite that, they started the franchise impressively, with spot on casting.

Legally Blonde
Another reason why Reese Witherspoon is too delightful to hate.

A Beautiful Mind
If nothing else, I'm glad that it finally got Ron Howard his Oscar.

The Princess Diaries
There's a good chance that without this movie, I wouldn't know who Anne Hathaway is. That makes this movie vital.

Least Favorite: Scary Movie 2
I hate this franchise in general and this one is the worst of them all. The first movie had a clear direction ("spoof Scream"). The third gave into the anarchy of the parody. Scary Movie 2 lacked either of those guidances and was 90% filler. I'm glad that these movies aren't the only thing Anna Faris is known for.

No comments:

Post a Comment