Saturday, February 6, 2016

Club 50 Wrap Up: 1989

Years Completed:
19892003 | 2010 | 2012 | 2013

I didn't expect to get to this year yet. Not only is this my first completed year in the 1900s. It's in the 80s, not 90s. Granted, you could argue that I've had more time to get to these movies, but this whole endeavor is far too counter-intuitive a process to start using logic.

It's nice to have a year with enough distance to get a little perspective on. Things look a lot different. The market wasn't as dominated by franchises as it is now, for example. It's worth noting though, that there's still 11 sequels or reissues in the top 50. 16 of the movies ended up getting sequels, whether because they were franchise starters (Batman) or a sign of the studios being uncreative (Weekend at Bernie's). One look at the top ten and there's a superhero movie followed by all sorts of sequels.

No, if you are looking for something refreshing about the box office, it's the dominance of the family-friendly ratings. 1989 was only barely behind 1988 for making the most money in the top 50 from G and PG rated movies and those two years are way ahead of any other year (by %s) in the nearly three decades I'm covering so far for this project. In fact, Driving Miss Daisy was the last time a movie rated PG or below won the Oscar for Best Picture.

In 1989, the buddy cop movie was still kicking. Lethal Weapon 2 continued that franchise while was a one-off team up of two of the biggest stars of that time (Sylvester Stallone and Kurt Russell) also did quite well. The genre was showing its age though, so producers were looking for ways to shake the formula up. In this case, it's the dog partner with both Turner & Hooch and K-9 coming out. 


To wind down each year as I complete them, I'm going to hand out a few superlatives or anecdotal awards to highlight some of the highs and lows of the year's top 50 box office earners.

First Seen: The Little Mermaid
I'm a little unsure of this. I was only 2 in 1989, so I don't think I was seeing movies in theaters. Sadly, my parents don't take exhaustive notes like I do, which means they couldn't tell me. If I'm being logical, this is the most likely candidate.

Last Seen: The Bear
I had the hardest time finding this movie. I'm glad it was the last one rather than one of the others toward the end that I quite disliked. This was a treat.

Happiest Surprise: Glory
I had low expectations for this. It looked like a tactless white savior movie, which is something I've grown very tired of. It is that somewhat, but delicately handled and with fantastic performances all around. It is now one of my favorite war movies.

Biggest Disappointment: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
The Voyage Home was so good. What happened? This looked cheap. It was boring. The actors were oddly uncomfortable playing the characters they'd played for 20 years. I don't get how this could be so bad.

Looked Better Then: Look Who's Talking
It was a super big hit and it's a pretty good movie. Over time, all the sequels really watered down the concept. John Travolta's image isn't what it used to be thanks to Scientology and other embarrassments. Kirstie Ally hasn't stayed relevant either.

Looks Better Now: The Little Mermaid
There's a lot of options here. I could go with Dead Poet's Society which is one of Robin Williams' more touching movies (especially since his passing) or When Harry Met Sally... for basically creating the modern Romantic Comedy. No, I have to go with The Little Mermaid for beginning the Disney Renaissance: one of the most important developments of the modern studio system. It helps that The Little Mermaid is a helluva movie that still looks great and the songs more than hold up.

Favorite: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Maybe it's not as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark (that's a fun debate). But, it doesn't get any better than Harrison Ford and Sean Connery as father and son.

2nd Favorite: Glory
What can I say? I loved the hell out of this movie. And the casting only looks better with each passing year.

3rd Favorite: When Harry Met Sally...
Every RomCom since wishes it could be When Harry Met Sally...

Honorable Mention: 
Batman
Tim Burton got this right. The Nolan movies make people forget that.

The Little Mermaid
Ask me on a different day, and this could be my top pick. One of Disney's very best.

Dead Poets Society
“Oh captain, my captain.” Moments don't get any better than that.

Lethal Weapon 2
It introduced Joe Pesci and Leo Getz. What more do you need?

Least favorite: The Karate Kid Part III
It's a garbage movie. I don't want to talk about it any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment