Friday, February 5, 2016

Delayed Reaction: 48 Hrs.

What I Guessed It Was About: A cop gets a 48 hour furlough for a prisoner with information regarding an investigation.
How I Came Into It: I actually already saw Another 48 hrs. a couple years ago as an experiment of how important movie order is. For this series, it wasn't all that important. This is the more important of the movies though, as it's Eddie Murphy's film debut and one of the early Buddy Cop movies.

Why I Saw It: Film debuts don't get much better than this for Murphy. He was already quite polished from his time on SNL, but he pops off the screen in this. Pretty much everything people like about Murphy is here: the jokes, the confidence, the slickness. Nolte's gruffness is a perfect counter-balance to that. As an early template for a buddy cop movie, this is pretty great. The comedy is there, then it knows when to get serious.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's a fairly disposable movie. There's buddy copy movies I like better (Lethal Weapon, Midnight Run) and there's one's I like less (Red Heat, K-9). It's closer to the upper tier though. I'd happily watch it again, despite not being essential viewing.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment