Thursday, February 4, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Cinema Paradiso

What I Guessed It Was About: It's a foreign movie...about cinema...and paradise. See, I took Italian. I can translate this stuff.
How I Came Into It: This is one of those movies I stumble across fairly often on Best Movies lists. It's Italian. It got some Oscar attention. That's about all I knew. I was in the mood for something foreign though and I didn't want something that would be too challenging (One of these days I'll get to Enter the Void or Holy Motors). This looked painless enough.

Why I Saw It: This is a beautiful little movie. That montage at the end - I don't understand the logistics of how it was made after everything was lost in the fire, but damn, that was great and more deeply affecting than I expected. I'm a sucker for movies about the love of cinema. Now I'm imagining a movie night with this, Hugo, and Singin' in the Rain.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Well, I only saw the version on Netflix. Apparently, there's extended cuts that are more highly regarded, so I wish I couldn't seen one of those first instead. But, when my complaint is essentially "I wanted more of the movie", it's hard to look too hard to point out what didn't work for me.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

1 comment:

  1. I always find it impossible not to get swept up in the nostalgia that seeps out of every pore of this film.
    Watching Toto sadly make his way through the broken cinema or light-up at the old pictures in his childhood bedroom brings us back to the early years of our own, the films that shaped our love for the moving picture. This film is a love letter that anyone can read, for the doors of Cinema Paradiso will always be open to all newcomers.

    ReplyDelete