Sunday, February 7, 2016

Delayed Reaction: On the Road

What I Guessed It Was About: Some beatniks in the 50s bum their way around the country.
How I Came Into It: I haven't read the book. I don't really know what the book is about. I remember reading reviews when the movie first came out that essentially determined “Nice try”. I was in a Kristen Stewart mood and I wasn't not aware of the fact that she got naked in it.

Why I Saw It: I don't know much about the counter-culture of this time and it fascinates me. If nothing else, the attempts to recreate this time and world were fun to see. I love this cast (Garrett Hedlund, Kristen Stewart, Amy Adams, Alice Braga, Elisabeth Moss, Kirsten Dunst, Viggo Mortensen. I'll stop there). Even if all any of them are doing is impressions of 50s characters, I'm cool with that. Some were doing more than that, but not all of them. That's as far as I'll go.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I've always heard that this is a book that's nearly impossible to translate to film. I believe it. The movie meandered. I think that's demanded by the text but this was not an effective realization of it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment