Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Delayed Reaction: The Omen

What I Guessed It Was About: A woman gives birth to or adopts the child of Satan. Bad things happen.
How I Came Into It: This is one of those horror classics that I save for October (ignore the posting date of this. I get WAY backed up). I knew the broad strokes already. I was more curious how it fit into the larger time line of horror movies; how Rosemary's Baby leads to The Exorcist leads to this and how The Omen inspired what came after it like - I don't know - Poltergeist, maybe?

Why I Saw It: This is a movie of moments. The babysitter telling Damian "This is all for you" before hanging herself is still disturbing after four decades of one-upsmanship in the genre. Little Damian sneaking a smile at the very end after his parents' funeral is iconic. Even the one guy getting beheaded is laughably demented. Oh, and the baboons.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: There's a bit of a camp factor, and I can't tell if it's intentional.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment