Thursday, October 4, 2018

October Movie Preview


Finally, it's Fall and the good movies are coming in droves. Several of my most anticipated movies of the year are showing up in the next few weeks.  So let's not waste any time.




2018
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep 
2017
 Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | June | July | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec   
2016
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | June | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec  
2015
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | June | Jul | Aug | Sept | Oct | Nov | Dec 
2014
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
2013
Mar |  Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec



10/5
An alcoholic musician helps an aspiring singer find success as they fall in love.
Working For It: This is a perfect storm movie. It has a trailer which I've heard people joke is their favorite short film of 2018. Bradley Cooper is using all his goodwill from the last six years to star in and direct this crowd-pleaser. The people who didn't watch her season of American Horror Story get to discover that Lady Gaga can really act. I'm very excited for this potential Oscar frontrunner, even though this isn't the kind of movie I tend to love.
Working Against It: This is the third remake of A Star Is Born. All versions of it were a big deal (for better or for worse). There's a lot of baggage and expectations tied to this property. As good as Lady Gaga may be, people will still say Judy Garland was better.
Verdict:  Excited

A reporter stumbles onto an alien symbiote that tries to take control of his body.
Working For It: They are doing everything right with the casting. Tom Hardy in the lead. Michelle Williams joining the superhero universe. Riz Ahmed as the chief antagonist. Others like Woody Harrelson, Jenny Slate, and Ron Cephas Jones in some capacity. Count me in. I'm also curious about the new direction Sony is going with their Marvel properties.
Working Against It: I have no idea how this movie fits into anything. It's not part of the MCU with Spider-Man. Sony doesn't have any other active Marvel properties. So, I guess it's in its own universe. It's strange to think of Venom with no Spider-Man. The trailers remind me a lot of Upgrade, from earlier this year, which is funny, because I'm pretty sure I described Logan Marshall-Green as a "poor man's Tom Hardy" in that Reaction. The director is known for directing Zombieland and not much else that people remember. I'm not sure what this movie is. It's rare that I say that about big-budget movies that turn out to be really good.
Verdict:  Curious

The Hate U Give [Limited]
After a high school student witnesses the police shooting of her friend, she must find her voice and stand up for what's right.
Working For It: This is based on a best-selling book. It's very "of the moment". I don't know much about the lead actress (Amandla Stenberg), but I like the supporting cast, including Regina Hall, Anthony Mackie, Issa Rae, and Sabrina Carpenter.
Working Against It: Is "generic zeitgeist" a thing? Because that's what this looks like. Like, if a studio said, "let's make a Black Lives Matter movie", this what it would look like. It's the family-friendly look at police brutality. Maybe this movie is amazing and I'm misreading it. The little I know about it doesn't look that interesting or distinctive.
Verdict: Apathetic

Studio 54 [Limited]
A documentary about the rise and fall of the infamous club.
Working For It: The name 'Studio 54' still carries some weight, so there's something to the endurance of the brand. It doesn't matter how many times I hear the story. It's always interesting to hear the tales of this wild place.
Working Against It: I have heard the Studio 54 story a number of times in many different ways. It would be nice to see someone attack the story from a new angle.
Verdict: Curious

10/12
The stories of a group of strangers converge at a remote hotel at the California/Nevada border.
Working For It: I'm very excited for this one even though I know very little about it. It's written and directed by Drew Goddard, who wrote and directed Cabin in the Woods. This appears to be very much in the same chaotic mold. The cast gets better every time I look at it. There's the actors all over the trailers like Chris Hemsworth, Dakota Johnson, Jeff Bridges, and Jon Hamm. Then there's a few names I caught on IMDB like Nick Offerman and Manny Jacinto (Bortles!!!). I like that I can genuinely expect to be surprised by this.
Working Against It: The risk with anything like this, that's so mysterious and has so many characters and stories to juggle, is that it falls under the weight of it all. I don't expect that to happen, but it's not hard to see how this could be a mess.
Verdict: Excited

The story of Neil Armstrong and how he became the first man to walk on the moon.
Working For It: Space movies have a strong history. The Right Stuff is a classic. Apollo 13 and Gravity are great movies that received a lot of Oscar love. Even something tangentially related like Hidden Figures is really good. First Man, starring Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy and directed by Damien Chazelle (La La Land, Whiplash), is set to be the next great space movie. Everything I hear about it makes it sound more like a crowdpleaser than an Oscar frontrunner (think, The Martian), which I'm totally fine with.
Working Against It: I've had my fill of boomer nostalgia, and I've heard that Gosling plays the role as stoically as possible. I prefer charming-Gosling, so that's disappointing, even if it is accurate to the character.
Verdict: Excited

The book of Halloween monsters is unlocked again.
Working For It: The first movie was entertaining enough. They've set a tone with the series and they are sticking to it. I guess Jack Black is the big returning piece, holding the series together. That make sense. He's good in this family-friendly speed. They've brought in a few other comedy vets like Ken Jeong, Wendi McLendon-Covey, and Chris Parnell to put next to the young cast (who I can't name).
Working Against It: I determined with the first movie that I'm not the target audience. That's not a sin. It just means I'm in no hurry to see it.
Verdict: Apathetic

Beautiful Boy [Limited]
A father and son work through the journey of the son's drug addiction and attempts to recover.
Working For It: It's a drama with Oscar nominees all over it. Steve Carrell is the father. Timothee Chalamet is the son. There's also Amy Ryan, Maura Tierney, Kaitlyn Dever. OK, that's just three Oscar nominees, but my point stands. I'll happily watch these people act hard for two hours. There's also the simple delight of seeing Carrell and Ryan together onscreen again.
Working Against It: Haven't we seen enough movies about addiction? Do we need another hit?
Verdict: Curious

Bigger [Limited]
The story of the two brothers who created the bodybuilding industry.
Working For It: This looks like the CBGB of bodybuilding. It's a lot of familiar but not too famous actors like Julianne Hough, Victoria Justice, Steve Guttenberg, Tom Arnold, and Robert Forster. I also want to see Calum Von Moger as Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Working Against It: When someone describes a movie as "watchable, not good", this is what I think of.
Verdict: Curious

A dramatization of the arrest and trial of Kermit Gosnell.
Working For It: I do appreciate the commitment to the idea. The title pulls no punches and the movie has the look of a traditional crime and punishment movie.
Working Against It: Where to begin?...A little subtlety goes a long way. This is an anti-abortion movie, and it appears to be targeting a pro-choice audience. I assume this, because the trailer is very defensive. The trailer points out specifically that this isn't a race issue or a Pro-Life issue as if it's proactively battling criticism that it will receive. I think there is something to the fact that this case wasn't very covered in the news. Granted, I know little about it, so maybe there's more to it. I'd really like to see a documentary about it. The direction the film takes is to leave it as unambiguous as possible. The title leaves no wiggle room. In the trailer, Gosnell is figuratively twirling his mustache and strutting around like a diplomat's son who just got caught shoplifting. This is great if you are preaching to the choir. I don't think that's the only aim though. One movie isn't going to change anyone's mind. The better strategy is to convince the audience to at least question things.
I don't know why I spend so much time talking about these religious movies every month. I'm a lifelong atheist. I think I'm just bothered by how bad the strategy is with the movies. There's no nuance with almost any of them. They don't take any genuine risks. If they want to really spread the word, they should come at the audience at their level. There should be a religious movie with a hard-R rating that ends with a story of repentance. Whatever. This movie looks weak on a technical level. The story doesn't even matter.
Verdict:Repelled

The Oath [Limited]
A man tries to get through a contentious Thanksgiving dinner after news comes out that all U.S. citizens will be required to sign a loyalty oath on Black Friday.
Working For It: It's a social satire starring a metric ton of familiar comedy actors (Ike Barinholtz, Toffany Haddish, John Cho, Max Grenfield, Jay Duplass, Carrie Brownstein, Nora Dunn, Meredith Hagner, Billy Magnussen, and others). It's written and directed by Ike Barinholtz (his feature debut as a director). The vein of the humor appears to be extreme and playing against stereotypes. Could be fun.
Working Against It: I normally find this kind of social commentary humor grating. They tend to lose the jokes and get self-serious by the end. Hopefully with Barinholtz in charge, that doesn't happen, but I'm not convinced.
Verdict: Intrigued

10/19
A direct sequel to the original Halloween: Laurie Strode's final showdown with Michael Myers.
Working For It: From everything I've seen, this looks like a serious take on the franchise, not another lazy attempt to continue or reboot it. It's not focused on a young cast to be victimized for 2 hours. It's not even going for the biggest names possible. I saw Jamie Lee Curtis, Judy Greer, and Toby Huss in the cast. The rest are familiar faces, not names. Even though I don't associate David Gordon Green with horror, I am confident he can get this right.
Working Against It: Chasing the success of the original may just be a fool's errand. It's hard to give fan service and stand on its own as a movie. I'm not all that worried, but it is a concern.
Verdict: Excited

A small boat captain get wrapped up in a murderous plot.
Working For It: Here's what I know. Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway are Oscar winners. Diane Lane and Djimon Hounsou are Oscar nominees. Jason Clarke is in a bunch of good movies. There's aren't that many mid-level budget thrillers these days, and I liked those back in the 90s and early 2000s. The kind of movies with good actors not vying for awards attention. I want this to be good.
Working Against It: Back in the day, for every What Lies Beneath that I really liked, there was a Sleeping with the Enemy or The Hand That Rocks the Cradle that I didn't care much for. This can easily be a self-serious drip like The Counselor.
Verdict: Intrigued

A celebrity biographer fabricates letters by famous writers.
Working For It: A reined in Melissa McCarthy is often a great Melissa McCarthy. While I didn't care that much for Withnail &I, I do think Richard E. Grant (who has done many, many other things since) is perfect for his supporting role in this. It's the kind of "based on a true story" movie that would make me curious to research the real story afterward.
Working Against It: I've heard tepid things about it coming out of the big fall festivals. It's supposed to have great performances by McCarthy and Grant inside an otherwise mediocre movie.
Verdict: Curious

Mid90s [Limited]
A 13 year old befriends a local group of skaters in the mid '90s.
Working For It: It's Jonah Hill's debut as a director. He isn't in the movie to my knowledge. It looks like your standard coming-of-age, band-of-misfits type of movie. That's my kind of movie, so I'm likely to check this out.
Working Against It: A lot of actors who take a stab at directing aren't that great. We just tend to remember the great ones.
Verdict: Curious


10/26
A contemporary war movie about an Army chaplain who can't find the same fulfillment at home that he does on duty.
Working For It: I'm by no means a PureFlix expert. I haven't seen any of their movies. However, I do enjoy tracking their evolution through the trailers of their films. PureFlix is never going to have a Passion of the Christ level hit. Heaven is Real is even aiming a little high. They are getting better at making movies that look beyond their niche audience though, and Indivisible is a good example. This looks like a cheap American Sniper. The war action looks pretty good. The PTSD and family strife stuff looks well enough done.
Working Against It: It's still a bunch of actors I barely recognize in a movie that is literally preachy.
Verdict: Uninterested

A Naval submarine crew goes on a covert mission in enemy waters.
Working For It: "Submarine thriller" is a very specific genre with a surprising number of entries, be it The Hunt for Red October, U-571, or Crimson Tide. You probably know by now if this is going to be your kind of movie. The cast is made up of all the actors who say yes to every script they come across, including Gerard Butler, Gary Oldman, and Common.
Working Against It: The joy of a submarine thriller is the confined setting and heavy tension that comes with it. Hunter Killer wants to be a Fast and Furious movie too. I am not looking forward to how those elements will mix.
Verdict: Uninterested

Johnny English has to come out of retirement for one last mission.
Working For It: I admire Rowan Atkinson's commitment to his shtick. Emma Thompson agreed to be in this, so maybe it's better than it looks.
Working Against It: I'm not a fan of Bean or Johnny English. I've only really enjoyed Atkinson in supporting or bit roles like Rat Race. It's just too much as a lead character. And since that last Johnny English movie, a lot of people have done spy comedies better.
Verdict: Repelled

Suspiria [Limited]
Students at a prestigious dance academy start dying or going missing.
Working For It: That trailer is a lot to take in, and all reports suggest that the movie is as crazy as it looks. I love the original Suspiria (Much more than I expected). This being Luca Guadagnino's follow-up to Call Me ByYour Name is interesting. I like the casting of Dakota Johnson, Chloe Grace Moretz, and Tilda Swinton. In fact, casting Swinton is the kind of move that as soon as I heard about it, it became the most obvious casting decision imaginable.
Working Against It: I don't expect this to capture the magic of the original. Guadagnino has his own agenda for this. I have too many questions that need answering. I expect this to be a well-intentioned mess.
Verdict: Intrigued

Viper Club [Limited]
An ER nurse's journalist son is kidnapped and she decides to take matters into her own hands when she doesn't feel the goverment has done enough.
Working For It: It's nice to see Susan Sarandon in a leading role. Edie Falco and Matt Bomer are always good. Lola Kirke has a few good credits to her name. This is one of those moderate budget thrillers that refuses to let itself look cheap. In another era, this would've been a TV Movie of the Week. The kind of movie I'd catch at 1pm on USA on a sick day and watch disinterestedly. I'm sure it will be fine.
Working Against It: I'm also sure that I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between this and Zebra Lounge (or Arbitrage, or Nightwatch) in four years.
Verdict: Apathetic


No comments:

Post a Comment