Thursday, August 2, 2018

August Movie Preview


This isn't looking like a typical August. The most likely blockbusters are pretty tame or silly. A lot of my favorite Sundance movies are finally showing up. Most of all, it's a packed month. I should have no trouble finding things to watch.Even the throwaway movies have high potential.


2018
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul 
2017
 Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | June | July | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec   
2016
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | June | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec  
2015
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | June | Jul | Aug | Sept | Oct | Nov | Dec 
2014
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
2013
Mar |  Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec



8/3
A grown up Christopher Robin reunites with Pooh and his friends who help him rediscover his childhood joy.
Working for It: I'm a fan of how Disney has capitalized on nostalgia for its own properties. While the Spring adaptations have been the biggest hits (The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella), I'm more curious about these late summer offerings like Pete's Dragon and Christopher Robin. I'm not sure how much of my love for Ewan McGregor is Obi-wan-based vs. the rest of his work. Regardless, I'm always happy to see him. Hayley Atwell is always delightful as well. Between Finding Neverland and Stranger Than Fiction, director Marc Forster has the right history for me to believe he can pull something like this off.
Working Against It: Having seen Goodbye Christopher Robin last year, it's going to be hard for me to separate the truth vs. the fiction in this. Knowing that Winnie the Pooh ruined the real Christopher Robin's life (slight exaggeration) makes this sillier fictionalization a little harder to swallow. I'm sure I'll get over it quickly.
Interest Level: Intrigued

A woman and her friend get tied up in an international conspiracy after discovering that her ex-boyfriend is a spy.
Working for It: Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon look like a great comedy duo. I can see their strengths meshing well. As the titular spy, I'm going to enjoy pretending that Justin Theroux is living out a Leftovers alt-narrative the entire time. I liked director/co-writer Susanna Fogel's movie Life Partners a lot more than I expected. I can see her bringing a lot of what worked in that to this movie.
Working Against It: Life Partners is a very different type of comedy. I can also see how the transition could go poorly. I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the supporting cast, which worries me some. That means either a lot is riding on Kunis and McKinnon to deliver and they have to nail the casting of under-seen talent. This is all very possible. The margin of error is smaller though.
Interest Level: Curious

Teens get powers and the adults become afraid of them.
Working for It: It doesn't matter how low the hit rate is. Studios will keep making these YA novel adaptations, because when they hit, they hit huge. The idea for this one appears to be a love story about two teens in a world where children are put into concentration camps because the adults are afraid of the mysterious new powers they are getting (Subtle metaphor, I know). I don't know the lead kids well (Amandla Stenberg, Harris Dickinson). I do know Bradley Whitford, Mandy Moore, and Gwendoline Christie though (one Emmy winner and two Emmy snubs).
Working Against It: I get nervous any time an animation director moves to live action. Sometimes it can turn out great, like Brad Bird with Ghost Protocol. I wish Kung Fu Panda 2 & 3 director Jennifer Yuh Nelson luck, but I have my doubts due to the nature of this film. Most of my hesitation comes down to when was the last time someone came out of one of these YA dystopia adaptations saying "that was actually pretty good"? It doesn't help that the trailer barely tells me anything about it.
Interest Level: Uninterested

That is an awful poster. Why are they so proud of that half & half graphic? It looks horrible
A documentary about how liberals are actually the Nazis.
Working for It: For the number of things I've seen and heard about how Trump is the devil and the worst thing ever, I suppose seeing an organized contrarian take could be interesting.
Working Against It: Based on the trailer, there are two big comparisons being made: 1) Looking at the Democratic opposition that Lincoln faced as compared to Trump. 2) The actions of the Nazis with censorship resemble the "liberal agenda". I guess the Nazi things is a decent attempt to reverse the popularized Trump narrative. The Lincoln comparison confuses me because neither party resembles what they looked like in 1860. This just doesn't look like a well-made documentary. I can't stand docs with such a blatant agenda.
Interest Level: Repelled

A girl is sent to a gay conversion camp by her conservative family.
Working for It: I think any movie that wins an award at Sundance I'm required to see. I don't know the exact definition of my taste in movies, but that's part of it. This stars Chloe Grace Moretz. who is my main draw. I haven't seen one of her movies since Neighbors 2, which feels like a lifetime ago.
Working Against It: I suppose the argument against this is that I can probably guess all the beats of the story already. It would be nice for an unexpected slant or two. Granted, they'd be unexpected, so I can't expect them going in. What I'm trying to say is, I'll be seeing this movie. Something unexpected would be nice.
Interest Level: Intrigued

The misadventures of two female slacker friends.
Working for It: I love a good raunchy slacker comedy as much as the next guy. It's an A24 movie, and I trust that branding a lot. I don't know the stars (Maia Mitchell, Camila Monroe) from anything, but they seem plenty capable in the roles.
Working Against It: I can see this having a lot of issues. The trailer could be cut to make it look funnier than it is. It might meander too much. Maybe the leads end up being too unlikable. This kind of movie has a large variance.
Interest Level: Curious

8/10
An ensemble film with interconnected stories about people and their dogs.
Working for It: I love dogs. I love movies with interconnected stories. I love a lot of the actors in this movie. It's fair to suggest that this is a disposable movie. I'm fine with that. I'm more than happy to track down a movie with Nina Dobrev, Vanessa Hudgens, Eva Longoria, Lauren Lapkus, Adam Pally, Ryan Hensen, Finn Wolfhard, and a bunch of dogs.
Working Against It: I think the only thing working against this is that I don't see a situation where it would  ever be the top of my list. It'll be on the list, but there will always be 2 or 3 movies ahead of it.
Interest Level: Curious

A giant shark attack movie.
Working for It: To clarify: This is a shark attack movie with a giant shark. I wish I knew what the tone of this movie is. With a cast including Jason Statham, Ruby Rose, and Rainn Wilson, my guess is that it knows at some level that it's ridiculous. The trailer implies as much too. What's the proper balance between serious and silly though? I don't want Sharknado but San Andreas is too far in the other direction. I don't need this to be too serious. The director, Jon Turteltaub, doesn't give much indication. This is a man who made 3 Ninjas, Cool Runnings, While You Were Sleeping, and Phenomenon in a five year period. Perhaps the National Treasure movies are our best indicator. If done correctly, I could see how The Meg could be a sleeper highlight of the summer.
Working Against It: So much depends on hitting the right tone. My gut tells me this won't work. There's too much winking in the marketing already. And, if I'm being honest, I much prefer Jason Statham in supporting roles*.
*Before you bring it up, I do realize that the giant shark is the star of the movie. Statham is the lead human role from the look of it.
Interest Level: Intrigued

The "real" story of Slender Man.
Working for It: As far as creepypasta goes, Slender Man is a good one. I think the story of those girls who nearly killed their friend because of him helps it's urban folklore status. Based on the trailer, I don't think a single 60W bulb is used in the entire movie. There's a lot of black and fog. As far as "setting a tone" goes, they are on the right track.
Working Against It: A PG-13 rating immediately worries me. It's being handled by Sony's ScreenGems moniker, which isn't know for it's subtlety. The trailer is a collection of spooky images without a real hook. This has all the hipness of a grandma break dancing in a Burger King commercial in 1989. I appreciate the attempt to put a budget behind a Slender Man story, but that's the kind of story that once it goes mainstream, it loses a lot of its appeal.
Interest Level: Apathetic

A black police officer infiltrates the KKK.
Working for It: I want to like Spike Lee's movies more than I have thus far. This one has a lot of potential. I'm curious about Denzel Washington's son, John David Washington, in his first big movie role (I hear that he's good in the show Ballers for what it's worth). This appears to be hitting the comedy hard. I like a supporting cast including Laura Harrier, Adam Driver, Alec Baldwin, and Topher Grace. Grace sounds like especially inspired casting because his innate likability is incongruous to playing the head of a chapter of the KKK. I'm quite excited for this.
Working Against It: As I mentioned, I haven't been a huge fan of Spike Lee's films so far. Inside Man is pretty good. He Got Game has its moments. It's been too long since I've seen Malcolm X to make any claims about that. Do The Right Thing and Jungle Fever didn't work for me though. Chi-Raq exhausted me. This movie could turn things.
Interest Level: Curious

A performance movie that blurs the line between narrative and filmmaking.
Working for It: The trailer is intriguing as hell. Some effort went into making that. It has indie bonafides - premiered at Sundance, a cast full of familiar faces not familiar names. It appears to be as much of an experience as it is a film.
Working Against It: Sometimes trailers are too good. I don't want a trailer that functions as a short film. Tease me. Give me a reason to see a movie. That's it. I don't need quotes about how this will change how I view movies or a bunch of nifty edits that don't make it clear what the movie is even about. Save it for the movie, please. I'm intrigued by what the hell this movie is, but I have no idea what it's even about. This could be a 90 minute surrealist music video for all I know. There could be a narrative to it. I don't know. The trailer is selling too hard.
Interest Level: Uninterested

The story of a group of female skateboarders in New York City.
Working for It: Director Crystal Mosselle brings documentary sensibilities to a fictional narrative. Mosselle made the documentary The Wolf Pack a couple years ago, which was a case of the subjects being more interesting than the documentary about them. Still, it's a movie I liked. Skate Kitchen uses real NY skateboarders to play the characters. I'm not exactly sure what the story is, but I'm fine if it's just an excuse for these people to show me what being a skateboarder in NYC looks like these days.
Working Against It: When filmmakers turn to non-professional actors, you normally hit a point where you can tell. The authenticity they bring really has to outweigh the lack of craft in their performance.
Interest Level: Apathetic

8/17
An Asian American woman discovers that her boyfriend's family is crazy rich when they visit Singapore.
Working for It: Constance Wu is terrific on Fresh Off the Boat. I recommend that show to anyone and she's the main reason why. She's also the driving force for my curiosity about this movie. It helps that familiar actors like Ken Jeong, Awkwafina, and Michelle Yeoh are in it too. This looks like a pretty typical RomCom and I'm a sucker for a good RomCom. I am rooting for it in a more general sense though because this is the first American film with a cast that's mostly of Asian decent since The Joy Luck Club - 25 years ago. That's dumb.
Working Against It: The RomCom has gone through an evolution over the last 10-20 years. The trailer for Crazy Rich Asians looks like the movie would fit better in 1998 than 2018. That hasn't stopped my from liking throwbacks like Set It Up earlier this year, but it does feel antiquated nonetheless. That said, it's progressive simply by its casting. If this only bridges the gap and leads to more of these actors getting roles is more modern-style movies, then it's all worth it.
Interest Level: Intrigued

After being left for dead, a boy and a wolf he bonds with journey to reunite with his tribe during the last Ice Age.
Working for It: I appreciate the risks the movie is taking. Based on the trailer, most of it is wordless and limited to just the boy and the wolf. I praise a movie like The Bear for doing the same thing.
Working Against It: The marketing for this movie has been a mess. It was supposed to be released earlier this year. The trailer was awful. They delayed it and retooled the trailer, which now has a voice over announcer like it's 1996. The movie is going to flop. There are no bankable stars in it. The story is like White Fang meets The Good Dinosaur. Good luck getting people to see a mostly silent movie with no other gimmick to replace it with.
Interest Level: Repelled

An elite special ops force has to move an asset 22 miles in hostile territory to get him on a plane back to the USA.
Working for It: I've seen all but one of Peter Berg's feature films. There's no reason to think I'll miss this one. He's like a blue collar Michael Bay. I dig it, even when it's a dud like Battleship. This Mark Wahlberg collaboration has a familiar plot. It's hard to tell this apart from Safe House, S.W.A.T., or 16 Blocks, but I don't particularly care. I like the idea of Lauren Cohan in an action movie. Ronda Roussey makes sense too. Berg is bringing some martial arts into it by casting Iko Uwais (star of the Raid movies). I assume that John Malkovich will play a mustache-twirling villain. This looks like popcorn fun.
Working Against It: As I said, the story is a bit familiar. This perhaps veers too much into Battleship or Hancock territory rather than Lone Survivor or Deepwater Horizon. Of course, that kind of describes The Rundown too, and that might be my favorite of all of Berg's movies.
Interest Level: Curious
A woman meets and falls for the singer who her longtime boyfriend is obsessed with.
Working for It: It's a love triangle with Rose Byne, Chris O'Dowd, and Ethan Hawke, which, frankly, is enough for me. It's based on a Nick Hornsby book, which is always a good sign too.
Working Against It: The screenplay credits are interesting. A few people are attached to it. It looks like it's someone who has written several Alexander Payne films, the writer/director of The Savages, and the director's sister (who's only other credit is Our Idiot Brother). The director appears to be known for directing episodes of every comedy series over the last 2 decades and some forgettable Paul Rudd movies. All that really means though is that I'm seeing this for who is on the screen, not who is behind the camera. Often with writers/directors, I don't care about them for a long time, then they make a movie I like and all the sudden, I'm a fan.
Interest Level: Excited

A documentary about the Japanese whaling town known for killing dolphins.
Working for It: You've probably heard stories about celebrities and activists going to Japan to stop people from killing dolphins. Well, this is the town they were protesting. The skeptic sonuvabitch in me loves a documentary that takes an unpopular opinion. A Whale of a Tale attempts to get that town's side of the story and reveal that it may not be such a one-sided issue. I will say, it doesn't appear to be a pro-Dolphin-killing movie. It's more about looking at both sides without judgment.
Working Against It: Do I really want to invest 90 minutes into something that might convince me that maybe dolphin-killing isn't so bad? I love a good contrarian take, but my investment is pretty low for this debate.
Interest Level: Apathetic

The Wife [Limited]
The wife of a famous writer comes to terms with the compromises she's made in her life after her husband wins the Nobel prize.
Working for It: Glen Close is the wife. Jonathan Pryce is the husband. Elizabeth McGovern and Christian Slater are there too. It looks like everyone is acting the hell out of their roles. I'm a fan of stories of "the woman behind the man" finally demanding her due.
Working Against It: This has a stuff Sony Pictures Classic feel. I assume if it doesn't randomly pick up awards attention for Close in the winter then I'll never hear about it again.
Interest Level: Curious

8/24
A young man finds and bonds with a hi-tech robotic dog.
Working for It: For what looks like a modest production, the effects for the robotic dog look pretty good. And they got a Power Ranger (Becky G) for the cast.
Working Against It: Remember the 2016 movie Monster Trucks? No. Of course you don't. That was a massive flop for Paramount not that long ago. Well, this movie is cheaper and comes from a less powerful studio, not to mention a cast that only diehard film goers could name any of. A.X.L. is a little different than Monster Trucks - it has a dog...ish - but it's likely to disappear with the same speed. Also, the trailer gives away too much of the movie, which makes it come off like its own Funny or Die parody.
Interest Level: Uninterested

The cast of a beloved 80s children's show starts getting murdered in a world where puppets and people live side by side.
Working for It: Melissa McCarthy signed on as the human half of the lead detective duo. I'm intrigued to see her leading a movie where there no chance that she could be the craziest part of it. As seen by my love of Sausage Party and Team America: World Police, I do love when a comedy uses the contrast of styles associated with children doing the nastiest things imaginable. It's not something I'm particularly proud of, but I won't deny it.
Working Against It: Here's how it works. The whole time leading up to this movie, I tell myself this looks stupid and that I have no interest in seeing something this sophomoric. I mean it too. Then I come across a review or two that says the movie is smarter than it appears at first glance: the puppet sex is a smokescreen for some smart commentary that would be hard to sell at face value. I end up with some free time and decide to give the movie a try. Then I really enjoy the movie. It happened with Team America. It happened with Sausage Party. So, I'm not looking forward to The Happytime Murders at all, but so far I'm always wrong about this kind of movie. More than the previous examples however, this doesn't appear to have anything deeper on its mind than director Brian Henson flipping his father's legacy on its head.
Interest Level: Curious

A father tries to find his missing daughter in a film told through a computer screen.
Working for It: So, it's the same gimmick that got me to see Unfriended, except it's a mystery thriller instead of a horror movie. Instead of a group of friends, this focuses on John Cho entirely. I heard good things about this from Sundance and I'm drawn enough to this style that's I'd still want to see this even if I only heard bad things.
Working Against It: It's fair to say that no one has mastered this form of storytelling yet. It gets dated quickly and often takes shortcuts out of necessity. That's yet to be a deterrent for me.
Interest Level: Excited

The Bookshop [Limited]
A woman opens a bookshop in a small English town in the 1950s and gets opposed by many in the town.
Working for It: This looks like a polite little British period piece. Emily Mortimer is the plucky bookshop owner. Bill Nighy is the town curmudgeon who becomes her biggest ally. Patricia Clarkson is the conservative local woman who doesn't like the change in the town. Mortimer even employs the help of an equally plucky child. I'm pretty sure the idea for the movie began with the word "charming" and was built out from there.
Working Against It: Often, not far from the word "charming" are words like "disposable" or "forgettable". I'm sure I'd enjoy this if I watched it, but I feel no urgency.
Interest Level: Curious

Papillon [Limited]
A prisoner sent to a remote island plots an escape.
Working for It: I guess this is a remake of a Steve McQueen movie from the '70s that I don't know much about. Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malek are the main actors of note. The tone of the trailer reminds me a lot of The Lost City of Z.
Working Against It: Like The Lost City of Z, I have no desire to see this and I'm not sure why. The unfamiliar filmmaker doesn't help. I'm not all that intrigued by the setting either. Perhaps I'm bothered by how distinctive the visuals are trying to be. I don't know. It's one I look forward to people telling me it's good in December when I'm looking for movies I've missed before putting together my top 10.
Interest Level: Curious

Follow the manager of a Hooters-like bar over one hectic day.
Working for It: I actually really want to see this after watching the trailer. It looks a bit like a toned down Waiting... It has Regina Hall is a lead role, which I don't often see. Haley Lu Richardson and Dylan Gelula have supporting roles. I'm a fan of the "a day in the life" structure, similar to Waiting... or Hail, Caesar! It helps that Magnolia is the distributor. They don't have the hit rate of A24, but I'd say just as many of my favorite movies have come from them over the years.
Working Against It: This could be bad and forgettable. The director's last movie, Results, I was massively indifferent about.
Interest Level: Intrigued

8/31
A special task force tracks Adolf Eichmann down to Argentina and hopes to bring him back to Israel to be put on trial.
Working for It: I'll see anything with Oscar Isaac. Ben Kingsley plays the other side of the Holocaust this time. There's also people like Haley Lu Richardson and Nick Kroll who I'm curious to see how they fit in this kind of movie. I'm also just curious to see more about post-WWII Argentina, where a lot of Nazis fled to. That's such an odd bit of history.
Working Against It: Remember The Promise? Don't worry. No one else does either. That's another historical movie with Oscar Isaac that I just sort of forgot to see. Operation Finale sure looks like one of those too. There are a lot of movies. I can't see them all (I'm told).
Interest Level: Curious

Blood Fest [Limited]
A horror movie festival turns into an actual slaughter of the attendees.
Working for It: There's a lot of Knights of Badassdom to this. I get the appeal of fans of the thing becoming part of the thing. There's high potential for informed genre-specific jokes.
Working Against It: It's understandably low budget and very specific in its focus. Horror comedies are tough, because they try to have their cake and eat it too. The problem is, making jokes about the horror tropes calls attention to them, and makes them less effective when trying to scare later. Hopefully this sticks to just being a comedy.
Interest Level: Apathetic

A country doctor responds to a call at a declining family estate and stumbles into a possible haunting situation.
Working for It: I'm pretty sure I've covered this before, but I'm too lazy to check. It stars Domhnall Gleeson and is from the director of Room. Those are two of my very favorite things from 2015. I'm always looking for a good scary movie too.
Working Against It: This wouldn't be the first horror mystery movie with a star who I like that underwhelmed me. Perhaps it's great, but history has led me to expect something fair to good.
Interest Level: Intrigued

No comments:

Post a Comment