Friday, April 22, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Inside Man

The Pitch: What would it be like if a bank heist was intelligently handled by criminals who actually had a plan that they thought out?
How I Came Into It: It's...it's finally happened. My last Denzel Washington movie from my Club 50 list. That must mean I'm near the end. You need to understand, by far, he is the most successful actor whose movies I never would've gotten to if not for this project. It's makes Steven Seagal's list look pitiful. There's a ton of his movies I would've seen  regardless. Training Day, Remember the Titans, Man on Fire, etc. Some things I simply would never miss. But then you get to 2 Guns and Glory and Safe House and The Pelican Brief and Unstoppable and Crimson Tide and The Book of Eli and Courage Under Fire and Deja Vu and The Manchurian Candidate and - I could stop here but I won't - The Hurricane and The Bone Collector and The Siege and The Preacher's Wife. This is the last one, and I feel like I deserve a merit badge or something.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) First of all, I had no idea this was a Spike Lee movie. It's perhaps the least he's ever infused himself with a movie. This played like any other competent crime/hostage/suspense movie. Most of what I liked is that the whole plan feels thought through. I feel like the writer of the screenplay actually researched and interviewed people to get this right. It's pretty rare to read a tagline that describes something as "a brilliant heist" and not disagree.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'll admit, as the plan starts to reveal itself, I was less interested. Once it starts being about Nazi war crimes and secret diamonds, I didn't care as much. That's where 'effective' and 'elaborate' diverge for me.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment