Friday, April 8, 2016

Second Thought: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The First Reaction: This is a dull movie that put me to sleep twice.
Why I Saw It Again: It was part of a horror movie night and a personal favorite of a friend of mine.

New Thoughts:
Normally I don't go back and do a piece like this when I see a movie again. That's because my opinion remains largely the same. In special cases, it can change greatly, as was the case with Dracula. When I originally saw it, it was on some cable network (AMC, I think) in standard def. I saw it this time on Bluray. Except for Keanu Reeves' laughable hair coloring, this movie was beautiful. I lost so much by watching it not on Bluray that first time. That alone greatly increased my interest. Also, while this isn't a gore-fest, a lot had to be cut out to be shown on basic cable. This was so much better. As I said the first time, Gary Oldman makes a great Dracula. It's a very good recreation of the book, as my friend who's read the book way more recently than I have pointed out often. Oh, and was that Tom Waits? That guy has a strange filmography. Really though, Francis Ford Coppala shot the hell out of this movie and that's why I'll be returning to this movie in the future.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment