Thursday, April 28, 2016

Delayed Reaction: One Fine Day

The Pitch: Two pretty single parents fall in love over the course of the longest day this side of Phil Connors.
How I Came Into It: George Clooney's pre-Danny Ocean career fascinates me. Before that, he was working the system to get good or strategic jobs, but he didn't have his pick of them. This is basically his second movie role and it's a polar opposite of From Dusk Till Dawn. The only other time he opted to do a RomCom also happened to be a Coen Brothers movie, which barely counts.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) One wonders if Clooney didn't dip back into RomComs after this entirely because he's too good at them. In a lot of ways, One Fine Day is the most formulaic of all Romantic Comedies. The actors play perfectly to type - Clooney is roguish, charming, and not responsible. Michelle Pfeiffer is overbearing, but likable when she smiles. It's got another young Mae Whitman sighting, so that's pretty cool.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Ok, logistically, I don't understand how that day could happen. I'm not even from that city and I'm pretty sure that's logistically unfeasible. Also, Pfeiffer's role veers over the line from uptight to unlikable. That puts her in that frustrating territory of only being likable because Clooney's character likes her.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment