Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Delayed Reaction: The Purge: Anarchy

The Pitch: This time, we'll leave the house.
How I Came Into It: The Purge is a simple and easy premise. They could make a dozen movies about this and still find new angles to look at it. Because of that, one poorly received movie - I rather hated the first one - isn't enough to make me give up on the franchise. Besides, this has QB1. How could I not want to see it?

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I like the idea of the first movie a lot. It all takes place in that house. It's a good, low budget structure and the claustrophobia of it could really play to scares well. Unfortunately, they botched that, so it was nice to see them try a new angle by going into the city. They had a lot of fun coming up with the kind of people who would exist in a Purge. This was more played as an adventure movie than a scary movie, which worked pretty well.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'd really like to see the version of this that trusted the audience to pick up on the social commentary. A version of this that was handled with any delicacy and used any subtlety would be really creepy and could still be exciting. As I said, I'm completely on board with the concept. In the hands of the current creative team, I'd rather not waste another 12 hours.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment