Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Evita

The Pitch: Madonna is Eva Peron.
How I Came Into It: I remember it being notable when Madonna starred in this movie. That's it. I don't remember if it was praised or roasted. I don't remember if the movie was a critical hit or box office underachiever*. This is a musical. I knew that.

*Anything that made the top 50 in a year is tough to call a "flop".

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Madonna gives this everything she has. I cannot question her dedication. Alan Parker shoots the entire movie in a frenzy. It never lets up. I could've told this was originally a stage musical even if I wasn't aware of that fact going in.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: A good amount of this is my personal taste, but this movie is exhausting. It's not just a musical. It's an opera. Everything is sung, no matter how uncomfortable the wording is. Much like with the more recent Les Miserables, regardless of how I felt watching it, I had nothing left when it was over. None of the songs were anywhere near as catchy as I'd hoped. I guess this did get me looking Eva Peron up on Wikipedia, so I'll call that a success.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment