Monday, April 11, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were Rabbit

The Pitch: You know Wallace and Gromit...You don't? Well, they're popular British characters. We've made an entire film about them and, I swear, it's pretty good. From the company that made Chicken Run. You remember Chicken Run, right?...Well, it did really well. Trust us. See it.

How I Came Into It: Between Chicken Run and Flushed Away, I haven't hidden the fact that I don't particularly care for what Aardman Animations does. I don't hate the movies. In fact, if you take Pixar out of the mix, I enjoy them about as much as any other animation studio out there. It's strange, I have a very specific memory of Curse of the Were Rabbit, but I don't know what it is. It had something to do with me being in college. Was it something I read in a school paper or something? I wish I could remember, because this is getting annoying. It's like finding a string tied around your finger but forgetting what it was for.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is a perfectly harmless movie. It has a sense of fun to it. The stop-motion animation looks good. The Wallace and Gromit characters are fun in a "Protagonist intended to appeal to children" way. The bunnies were enjoyable.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This also didn't do anything for me. On a technical level, this is solid. Nothing about the characters, writing, or look inspires me to want to revisit. I feel bad when that's all I have to say. Sometimes it's the reason though.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment