Saturday, April 2, 2016

Delayed Reaction: TMNT

The Pitch: They're teens. They're mutants. They're ninjas. They're turtles. Has any title ever done a better job of selling itself?
How I Came Into It: Ok, I fully thought this was a movie that was in service of a TV show that was either already out at the time or about to premiere. I had no idea this was basically a stand alone adventure.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) There's always some amount of fun to watching the Ninja Turtles. It's such a bizarre concept that has become a permanent pop culture fixture.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I won't fault the CGI for not looking anywhere near as slick as it did when it was released. I'm getting really tired of the exact same dynamics being used over and over again though. Raphael wants to go lone wolf. Leonardo has trouble figuring out how to be a leader. Donatello fails as a mediator between them. Michaelangelo...well, he's always great. Never change, Mikey. I understand that they're archetypes, but let's get some new shading. And this was way too dour and not enough fun.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment