Thursday, April 7, 2016

Deelayed Reaction: Malice

The Pitch: It's a movie about botched surgeries, serial killers, and Alec Baldwin as god.
Sometimes I forget how attractive Nicole Kidman was is.

How I Came Into It: I'll be perfectly honest. The only reason I knew about this at all is because Nicole Kidman got naked in it. I'm not proud of this, nor am I ashamed of this.


Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's seems that I've been inadvertently working on an Aaron Sorkin Bingo and this screenply was the last one I had left (I've now seen every movie he's written and most of the TV). It's certainly a unique script as it's almost impossible to predict the final twists. Alec Baldwin is at his most arrogant, showing the earliest traces of Jack Donaghy. Nicole Kidman is having fun playing evil. Anne Bacroft had a lot of fun with her one scene. The actors are all enjoying their roles.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I've never seen a story that is more concerned with red herrings than the actual story of the movie than this one. It has that whole serial killer story on the side for no reason other than to trick the audience. So, Bill Pullman is randomly the hero for stopping the killer midway through the movie and it doesn't matter to anything. He just happens to stop a serial killer at the same time he's caught in the middle of a multi-million dollar insurance scam. My One Big Leap senses are tingling. I'll admit, that kind of trickery in a script is something I could just as easily be praising (Lord knows Joss Whedon did it all the time in Buffy scripts). I think this takes it one step too far though.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment