Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Delayed Reaction: The Exorcist II: The Heretic

The Pitch: It'll be The Exorcist, only bigger and less focused and worse - much worse.
How I Came Into It: This is regarded by many as one of the worst movies of all time. Given how good the original is, I basically had to see this just to understand how poorly handled this must've been. Awful sequels are something I take a morbid curiosity in. Generally, they're the result of a studio being so desperate to repeat the success, that they move forward with almost none of the same people. That was very much the case with this one.

Why I Saw It: There's a big difference between "watchably bad" and "unwatachably bad" and it has little to do with the quality. The Room, is watchably bad. It demands attention in every scene. It's endlessly quotable. It's an awful movie. The Heretic is much better than The Room, but it's also much less watchable. While watching it, my mind did everything it could to not pay attention to it. It was dull and worked too hard to fit with the original movie. It's a classic example of sacrificing the original movie to make the sequel's story work.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Oops, that was the section that was supposed to saw what did work. I'm not going to lie. I've been churning so many of these out lately that I'm burning out. This movie was not good enough to demand me to think about it when I watched it, and not worth going back to see what I missed. Don't watch this movie. Then, ignore this Delayed Reaction...which I guess I should've said at the top, not the bottom.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment