Sunday, April 17, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Message in a Bottle

The Pitch: A woman finds a message in a bottle...and love.
How I Came Into It: I didn't realize that this is the Nicholas Sparks adaptation that started it all. It makes so much sense now that I think about it. It is decidedly older than the movies that followed (as in, the cast is older). I don't dislike Sparks stories, sight unseen. Still, I went in with certain expectations.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Kevin Costner and Robin Wright are both respected and awarded actors who brought whatever they could to this. I'd certainly say that fans of Sparks' novels/movie would find this equally enjoyable. So, maybe it's just not my genre. The premise is pretty interesting, tracking down this man who wrote a letter in a bottle.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: That interesting premise is only the first 15 minutes of the movie. That's the entire hook, then it turns into a generic romance movie. They literally cover the most interesting aspect of a two hour movie in the time it takes some movies to get through the opening credits. And then Costner goes and dies like an idiot. Thankfully, I knew what to expect, given that it was a Nicholas Sparks adaptation, so little of it surprised me. That didn't make it good though.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment