Thursday, October 5, 2017

October Movie Preview

September was busier than I expected [Thank god!]. Now it's time for October the start the home stretch of 2017. It's a month of mediocre horror movies*, Oscar hopefuls that the studios don't think need the long exposure to make up for a lack of box office returns, and a couple potential blockbusters hoping to make some noise before the November onslaught begins. It'll certainly be a quieter month for me. I don't foresee any multiple movie weekends. Then again, I thought that about September too.

*Fun Fact: Check the release dates of the best horror movies from the last few years. Very few of them were released in October. That month is almost entirely reserved for safer studio horror movies.

2017
 Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | June | July | Aug | Sep   
2016
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | June | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec  
2015
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | June | Jul | Aug | Sept | Oct | Nov | Dec 
2014
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
2013
Mar |  Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec

10/6
A young blade runner tracks down Deckard, who has been missing for thirty years, while uncovering a dangerous secret.
Working For It: Just the curiosity of someone making a Blade Runner sequel after 35 years is enough, kind of like seeing Tron Legacy wasn't a debate for me either. This film has assembled quite a cast. They got back Harrison Ford, which is key. Ryan Gosling is a good choice for most things, including this. Jared Leto looks like an interesting villain. I don't know what to expect from Robin Wright, Ana de Armas, or Mackenzie Davis, but I'm sure it's good things. Director Denis Villeneuve appears to have a vision for this and he's an interesting director to handle this material.
Working Against It: There's a decent argument that nothing can be gained from returning to this story and answering questions that film nerds have debated for decades. Additionally, I like Denis Villeneuve a lot, although I haven't actually loved any of his films. That's odd.
My Position: I'm just too curious to skip it.

Kate Winslet, Idris Elba, and a dog survive a plane crash on a snow covered mountain and have to find a way to get rescued.
Working For It: Kate Winslet, Idris Elba, and a dog.
Working Against It: I can't say I know the director for anything. I feel like I've seen this exact movie before. I'm also a little irritated by the punny-ness of the name.
My Position: I feel no urgency to see this.

An evil pony wants to take the magic from the other ponies.
Working For It: The voice cast includes Emily Blunt, Michael Pena, and Liev Schreiber who are all people I like.
Working Against It: I'm not a "bro-ny". I don't care about My Little Pony. The film appears to be heavily weighted toward children on the family/children's movie spectrum.
My Position: I'll need a lot more evidence to be convinced that this is worth seeing.

Better Watch Out [Limited]
A home invasion movie about a babysitter and the boys she's watching who decide to strike back.
Working For It: That description doesn't do it justice. This is a violent, deranged take on the genre. It's kind of like "what if the robbers from Home Alone got injured a realistic amount on all the traps?". This is one of those Fantastic Fest "blood for sport" kind of movies. I think it's an amusing enough concept with some very dark humor. Also, in a fun bit of casting, it reunites the kids from TheVisit.
Working Against It: It's likely to cross a violence threshold that is too much for me.
My Position: I don't imagine it will get much of an expansion in theaters. It's a little early for a Christmas movie of any kind. Honestly, I'll be tracking this down eventually but I'm in no hurry.

A nature documentary about Earth.
Working For It: Basically, this is the movie treatment of Planet Earth 2. So, if you want to see pretty nature footage on a big screen, here you go.
Working Against It: If I could've already seen it in Planet Earth 2, do I really need to see it again?
My Position: Only for diehard nature-doc fans, which I can't believe is a large group.

Follow the summer adventures of a little girl growing up in a motel in Orlando.
Working For It: It's Sean Baker's follow-up to the micro-budget Tangerine in 2015. It's one of the more buzzed about movies of the last few months. It's distributed by A24 which has rapidly established itself as the most interesting studio around. Willem Dafoe is supposed to be fantastic as is the little girl at the center of the film, Brooklynn Price.
Working Against It: If I'm reaching for something, I could say that I didn't fall for Tangerine as hard as some people. I liked it. It just didn't blow me away. Even that's a facile strike against The Florida Project though.
My Position: This is likely to be in the discussion for awards throughout the rest of the year. That alone gives it an urgency that a lot of other films lack. And the movie looks pretty good.

Two brothers return to their home town for the first time after years of running away from their past.
Working For It: I don't know anyone in this or anyone behind the camera. I'm not sure I've seen anything distributed by Freestyle Releasing. In fact, the only reason I'm mentioning this at all is because I love the hunt for the next religious sleeper hit. I'm not sure this will be that movie, but I'm intrigued by what actually looks like a religious movie with an edge. It's still only PG13 and the trailer may be promising something a lot more severe than the film can deliver, but I keep waiting for a religious film that's willing to actually get a little dirty.
Working Against It: As I mentioned, almost everything about it is working against it to make me interested.
My Position: What's supposed to pull me in about this? The trailer doesn't actually say that much.

The Stray [Limited]
A family finds a stray dog and their life is changed for the better.
Working For It: I like dogs.
Working Against It: This is like a generic ADog's Purpose and A Dog's Purpose was already a generic Marley and Me.
My Position: It's not a hard no. It's a complete apathy.

Una [Limited]
A grown woman tracks down the man she had a relationship with when she was 13 who then disappeared.
Working For It: I'm pretty intrigued by this. It could go in a lot of directions. Some could be interesting. Some could be a complete mess. Rooney Mara plays the woman. I've determined that she is good in everything. Ben Mendelsohn is the man. While I tired of Bloodline, he was great in it. Emmy Winner Riz Ahmed's in this too. I've liked him since Nightcrawler. This cast really drives my interest.
Working Against It: Really, this could be a big mess. It can't take a pro stance on the situation, but going too strong anti would be pretty dull too.
My Position: This is worth waiting a little while to see if it's savaged in the reviews.

10/13
A man whose daughter was killed in a bombing terrorizes the government official he believes isn't investigating it enough.
Working For It: Jackie Chan vs. Pierce Brosnan. From the director of Goldeneye and The Mask of Zorro and a screenplay by the writer of Enemy of the State. It's feeling pretty 1990s right now. Honestly, this looks like it has a nice throwback feel with a bit of a modern look. It could be fun.
Working Against It: It's hardly an original premise (Taken meets Law Abiding Citizen). It will only go as far as Jackie Chan's stunts will take it.
My Position: I'm not sure I need to see something with a humorless Jackie Chan.

A college student gets killed every day and keeps reliving her death until she can figure out who is killing her.
Working For It: This movie has a great pitch. There's a lot of potential for scares or even subversion of horror tropes.
Working Against It: This movie needs to be really clever or executed really well. I'm already turned off by the PG13 rating, because it's hard to pull off anything genuinely scary under those MPAA guidelines. This movie looks like it's trying to have some fun with the Groundhog Day device, but that's harder than it looks, especially because people will immediately compare it to Groundhog Day.
My Position: I'm not inclined to believe the film will match up to the high degree of difficulty to pull it off.

A young, badass Thurgood Marshall defends a black man accused of raping a white woman.
Working For It: If this sounds familiar, then you've seen To Kill a Mockingbird. The big difference is that this isn't a white savior movie. That's nice. I like Chadwick Boseman as the lead and Sterling K. Brown, Josh Gad, Kate Hudson, Dan Stevens, and James Cromwell in supporting roles.
Working Against It: It's from the director of...um...Serving Sara...House Party, The Ladies Man...That's not encouraging for this subject matter. Also, this looks like a lionized interpretation of Marshall, which is fine, I suppose. However, it's not all that interesting, as far as I'm concerned.
My Position: This looks pretty bland.

The story of the man behind Wonder Woman and the relationship with his wife and mistress that inspired him.
Working For It: Luke Evans is Professor Marston and Rebecca Hall and Bella Heathcote are the Wonder Women. Connie Britton is in the cast too. I know nothing about this topic, which could make for a nice little biopic.
Working Against It: Director Angela Robinson's only film credits are Herbie Fully Loaded and D.E.B.S. Don't get me wrong. D.E.B.S. is fun. I can't say it's compatible with this film, necessarily. Who knows, maybe she just hasn't been given the right opportunities until now.
My Position: I kind of feel like the pitch is more enticing than the final product.

Breathe [Limited]
A man is taken down by polio and his wife shows him how to live again.
Working For It: It's a potential Oscar player, starring Claire Foy (The Crown) and Andrew Garfield (the Spider-Man, circa 2012-2014). It's also Andy Serkis' directorial debut and looks like it's pulled directly from an Oscar playbook. In fact, it really looks like The Theory of Everything - A Beautiful Mind (a formula I'm certain to use when I write my Reaction). Still, I like Foy and Garfield.
Working Against It: The story really does feel pretty tired. It's also like a prestige version of Me Without You. Really, I can't stop coming up with movies that it reminds me of.
My Position: Honestly, I owe it to Serkis to see this. And, if I saw The Light Between Oceans, I'm seeing this, right?

The story of the man who wrote Winnie the Pooh and his relationship with his son who inspired him to write the stories.
Working For It: Personally, I'm looking at this as an About Time reunion for Domhnall Gleeson and Margot Robbie. That may not work for everyone though. I'm not sure if I like Gleeson as an actor or for how well he picks projects. I struggle to think of a movie he's been in that I didn't like, although he's not my favorite part of a lot of them. I'm a big fan of Robbie too, although I'll admit that I don't know how much of that is because I think she's a great actress and how much is because she's gorgeous. It's more the former than the latter, but it's impossible to say the exact proportions. Regardless, she's in the movie. Kelly Macdonald too, who is nearly always great. Phoebe Waller-Bridge as well. I just watched Fleabag on Amazon, so I'm a fan of her now. I liked director Simon Curtis' film My Week with Marilyn. I like that the only other writing credit for one of the two credited screenwriters is a TV movie called "A Bear Named Winnie", which I choose to believe means this film was developed by a superfan.
Working Against It: This could be a very sleepy movie. Films about people writing books don't have the best track record. It turns out, watching someone write a book isn't all that exciting.
My Position: I think the casting makes it a must-see, even if the film ends up being a bore.

An old woman tells the story of her affair with a priest during WWII.
Working For It: It's another Rooney Mara movie. She plays the woman in flashbacks and Vanessa Redgrave plays her in the present. Theo James is the hunky priest. Eric Bana is who she tells her story to in old age. There's also something about what happens to the son she had with the priest. It think it's something bad. Something about a cover-up. It's one of those "based on an international best seller that no one's heard of" movies. Directed by Jim Sheridan, who is the go to director if you want something Irish.
Working Against It: Is it OK if I say I just don't care? It's a good cast, good director, and looks competently made. I'm just not sucked in by this story. It's one part Philomena, one part Thorn Birds.
My Position: Just as soon as I get to The Promise and The Zookeeper's Wife.

10/20
In a near future in which we control the weather, something goes wrong and creates a super-storm.
Working For It: I guess if you like disaster movies, here you go.
Working Against It: Gerard Butler has become that guy you get for an action movie when you need name recognition but don't want to put a lot of money into the movie. I'm not a huge fan of disaster movies, because the bar is set so high for the spectacle to make up for the other elements. The trailer sounds convoluted.
My Position: Just, no.

Firefighters in Arizona try to stop a wildfire. Based on a true story.
Working For It: I would've bet money on this being a Pete Berg movie (as a producer, at least). It's not. It turns out that it's from the director of Tron Legacy and Oblivion instead. That's fine too. With Miles Teller, Josh Brolin, Jeff Bridges, and Taylor Kitsch among the firefighters, the decision is nearly out of my hands.
Working Against It: This is a tricky kind of movie to pull off, especially since it's based on actual events. Pete Berg pulled something similar off with Deepwater Horizon last year, which I liked a lot. I'm not sure if Joeseph Kosinski is the right director to mix the sentimentality with the spectacle.
My Position: I'll be looking for a reason to not see it, but it's probably an inevitability with that cast.

A couple with marital problems invites a homeless man who talks like Slingblade into their lives
Working For It: It could be...OK.
Working Against It: Renee Zellweger, Greg Kinnear, Djimon Hounsou, and Jon Voight is a killer cast in 1998. Not so much now. And, maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this a textbook "Magic negro" movie? I'm kind of shocked that's still a thing, at least, this overtly. Normally they dress it up a little, or try to invert the dynamic some.
My Position: Hard no.

Michael Fassbender is a detective tracking down a serial killer with a penchant for playing in the snow.
Working For It: This is another international best seller that I've never heard of that getting adapted into a movie. Fassbender is the big draw. It has a strong supporting cast too, namely Rebecca Ferguson, JK Simmons, Chloe Sevigny, and Val Kilmer. Director Tomas Alfredson doesn't work a lot, but his last two films - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Let the Right One In - have been pretty good and appear to match tones with this.
Working Against It: I'm pretty bored of genius mastermind serial killer stories. Between TV and movies, the market has been saturated over the last decade. There's nothing all that special about the movie based on the trailer other than the pedigree of the people involved. Perhaps this will be like Wind River though: a great movie that can't be sold by a trailer.
My Position: I see no reason to hurry and see this.

More Madea shenanigans with a Halloween theme.
Working For It: You know the drill by now. Tyler Perry isn't looking to make any converts. After Boo! A Madea Halloween did surprisingly well in a barren October last year. They wasted no time churning another one out. If the trailers are any indication, there appears to be no drop off in quality with the sequel.
Working Against It: I think I've put in my due diligence. I've seen enough of Perry's movies with and without Madea to say that they just aren't for me. Horror comedy is a tough sell already, especially when going broad and big.
My Position: Perhaps, if all the theaters in Louisville and all surrounding cities burn down, except for one theater, that lost all their movies reels or files except for this one, I'd see it. Then again, is it that important that I keep my "one movie every week" streak going? I've only kept it going since August of 2012.

The Bachelors [Limited]
After the death of his wife, a man moves with his son to a new town for a new teaching job.
Working For It: This is a pretty ideal indie movie cast. JK Simmons is the father. I don't recognize the actor who plays the son. Julie Delpy, Kevin Dunn, and Odeya Rush are in it too. This film looks like it's following the indie movie formula that has gotten me to see many similar movies.
Working Against It: This really does feel like a movie I've seen before. People will call it a dramady even though it's really just a drama that has a couple people who are more associated with comedies in it.
My Position: This is the kind of movie I'm certain to track down eventually, although I'm in no hurry.

A teenager gets revenge on the family of the doctor who treated his father before his death.
Working For It: It's director Yorgos Lanthimos' follow-up to The Lobster and it looks intense. It's a revenge story in which the antagonist is the one getting the revenge [I think. Maybe Collin Farrell is asking for it]. I get the feeling that the trailer only touches the surface of everything going on. It's got Nicole Kidman and Colin Farrell back together after The Beguiled this summer. Alicia Silverson and Bill Camp too. It's a weird cast.
Working Against It: I didn't care for The Lobster all that much. I got what it was doing. I could see how other people would like it. I can even see how it looks like other movies I do like. I just didn't care for it for some reason. That's my only exposure to Lanthimos so far.
My Position: There's enough pedigree behind this to make it a priority, and it really does look wild.

Wonderstruck [Limited]
The story of a boy and a girl separated by 50 years yet somehow linked.
Working For It: It's Todd Haynes' follow-up to Carol, which is a movie that has grown on me since I first saw it. It's got Julianne Moore and Michelle Williams, so you know that will be good. I'm also curious because it's not that often that a PG non-animated movie is looked at as a potential Oscar player.
Working Against It: I know more about the concept of the film than the execution of it.
My Position: Maybe this could be another Hugo. I'm excited.

10/27
When a woman gets her sight back, it puts strain on her marriage.
Working For It: This might be a horror movie, and the fact that the trailer is a little vague about it makes me even more curious. Blake Lively and Jason Clarke are the central couple. Yvonne Strahovski shows up too. It's from director Mark Forster, who directed my beloved Stranger Than Fiction. That alone should lock this up.
Working Against It: OK, I know the marketing department is to blame for this, but it does annoy me that Stranger Than Fiction isn't one of the movies referenced in the trailer. Also, this premise, with horror overtones could be a mess pretty easily. Despite my love of Stranger Than Fiction, Forster doesn't have the greatest track record over the last decade.
My Position In a less crowded weekend, I'd make a point to see this.

The sadistic lethal puzzlemaster Jigsaw is back...maybe.
Working For It: The Spierig brothers are behind this installment in the Saw franchise. They made the excellent Predestination a couple years ago, and if they can bring that cleverness to this Saw revival then that could be pretty good.
Working Against It: I really dislike the Saw franchise. On a personal level, I don't have the stomach for the movies and get no joy out watching them. Of the four that I've seen - a friend insists that parts 5-7 have a good arc to them. I remain unconvinced - only the first movie aspired to more than being "torture porn".
My Position: I guess I could be bound by my Club 50 oath to see this eventually, but there is no chance in hell I'll be seeing it otherwise.

An idyllic suburban town is rocked by a wave of violence after a home invasion.
Working For It: George Clooney directs a film from a Coen brothers screenplay starring Matt Damon, Julianne Moore, and Oscar Isaac. This dark comedy sells itself.
Working Against It: To be fair, Clooney has mixed results as a director, there's some evidence that only the Coen brothers can do a Coen brothers script justice, and all the actors have some stinkers in their filmography, even in the last few years. This isn't a sure thing.
My Position: If you like all the ingredients, the odds are, you'll like the meal. That's my mindset for this film.

An army officer has trouble with PTSD when he returns home.
Working For It: Jason Hall adapts another book about an American solider (the first was American Sniper), and this time, he directs it too. Miles Teller is the lead and I like him more than his filmography probably deserves. The supporting cast is an eclectic one, featuring everyone from Haley Bennett to Keisha Castle-Hughes to Amy Schumer.
Working Against It: How many versions of the "soldiers return from war with PTSD" story do we really need? I mean, the cream always rises. If this is made well, I'm sure I'll like it. But, this is a pretty saturated market over the last decade or two.
My Position: I'm happy to wait on this one.

Crash Pad [Limited]
Thomas Hayden Church moves in with Domhnall Gleeson, who fell in love with Church's wife (Christina Applegate) after a one night stand she had to get back at him.
Working For It: It's a convoluted premise, but a good one for a comedy. The screenwriter is pretty new and the director is Alexander Payne's longtime editor, directing his first film in nearly three decades. The film also has Nina Dobrev, who I've like since Degrassi. I don't think this film will be very good, but it's light enough that I'll enjoy watching it.
Working Against It: I see few outcomes from this premise that end up being more than messy and amusing. I haven't seen Gleeson in a pure comedy yet. He's done some sketches that are good. That's about it though.
My Position: I'm pretty motivated to track this down for some reason.

Novitiate [Limited]
Nuns struggle with their faith during the Vatican II reforms in the 1960s.
Working For It: It helps that I was raised Catholic and know all about Vatican II. The more exciting aspect of this Sundance film is the cast, which is overflowing with up-and-coming and established talent. In that respect, it looks a lot like the female equivalent of The Stanford Prison Experiment. Margaret Qualley (The Leftovers), Liana Liberato (The Best of Me, If I Stay), and Morgan Saylor (Homeland) are names you'll probably come by more in the future. Surely Diana Agron has some life left in her career after Glee. This film is being sold on the strength of Melissa Leo's performance as the head of the convent.
Working Against It: It might be too "inside baseball" for non-Catholics or non-lapsed Catholics. A lot of this film will be riding on the performances. The story looks pretty tame and the direction and photography hardly seem adventurous.
My Position: I'm pretty excited for this.I haven't figured out why.

The Square [Limited]
Swedish dark comedy about a modern art museum and the eccentrics who gravitate to it.
Working For It: Despite being a foreign movie, it has Elisabeth Moss and Dominic West. It won the Palm d'Or at Cannes. The humor looks to do a good job of mocking the intellectual class. It's from the director of Force Majeure, who did something similar in that film as well.
Working Against It: Winning the Palm d'Or doesn't mean much to my taste. I've only seen a handful of winners. I liked some, hated others, and feel indifferent about the rest.
My Position: Emmy Winner Elisabeth Moss probably pushes it over the edge enough to be worth seeing.


No comments:

Post a Comment