Saturday, October 7, 2017

Delayed Reaction: M*A*S*H

The Pitch: A comical take on the Vietnam Korean War.


I have a shameful secret to reveal. I have never seen an episode of M*A*S*H. Through the years, despite catching TV shows from many eras*, I can't recall seeing a single episode, even in passing. I also haven't seen any Robert Altman movies. That gave me a perfect opportunity. I could see my first Altman movie and see the M*A*S*H film without constant comparisons to the classic show, which has surpassed it in public awareness. Both goals were a little faulty, I'll admit. I mainly wanted to see an Altman film so I could correctly use the world "Altmanesque" that I hear film snobs say all the time. And, even though I haven't seen the show, I sure as shit know enough about it that I still kept asking myself things like "I wonder how Alan Alda would've played that?".

*The 70s are my biggest TV blind spot. I haven't seen much All in the Family either.
I enjoyed the episodic structure of the film. It gives things a relaxed pace that it benefits from. Donald Sutherland, Elliott Gould, and Tom Skerritt are the epitome of those guys who are charming to watch in a movie but would be assholes to know in real life. The gender politics of this are pretty abysmal. This is both intentional - the 1970's perspective judging the 1950's perspective - and unintentional - my 2017 perspective judging the film as a product of 1970. Granted, the hot lips shower scene is downright tame by 80's teen sex comedy standards.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment