Saturday, October 28, 2017

Delayed Reaction: Aileen: Life & Death of a Serial Killer

The Pitch: A look into the woman Monster is about in her final days.

Sometimes, it helps to be drunk. I don't know how else I could've gotten through this film with out that. There was no other way I could put up with Nick Broomfield's narration. It's obnoxious, and what really bothered me is that when he talked in filmed scenes, he didn't sound nearly as annoying. In other words, he puts on that voice for the narration. What the hell!?! There's some good stuff in the documentary. Broomfield has a lot of access to Aileen Wornos and she seems to trust him as much as she can trust a documentarian. Broomfield appears to be the last person holding onto the idea that she killed all these men in self-defense. He mentions his last film about Aileen so much that I'd be tempted to track it down, except he probably narrates that one too. Really, if the narration could be replaced by Keith David or, hey, Charlize Theron for the tie-in, I'd rate this very highly as an examination of a serial killer in her final days. Sorry. I wish I could look past that.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment