Saturday, October 21, 2017

Delayed Reaction: The General

The Pitch: Buster Keaton has some ideas for train stunts and wrote a story for it.


Two Chaplin films and now my first Buster Keaton feature. Look at me. I'm becoming a silent picture aficionado.

OK, not quite. It's a start. That's all. Based on this small sample, I will say that I'm more of a Keaton fan than a Chaplin one. That could easily change. Chaplin seems to be more physically gifted. Keaton is more impressive with the stunts. I can't believe he did some of the things he does on the train or standing on the cow-catcher*. Keaton went over-budget making this, and I believe it. He collected a lot of equipment and decks everything out. It looks as authentic as the most obsessive big-budget production made today. Alas, I still find my attention trailing off with silent films, which is tough to break myself of. I completely get why this is considered a classic though.

*Still my favorite name for a part of any vehicle.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment