Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Delayed Reaction: Force Majeure

The Pitch: A father realizes while on vacation with his family, that he isn't so great.

Hopefully, I'm never in a relationship that gets to this point. This is an uncomfortable movie to sit through, partly because the moments when I want to laugh, such as Tomas' breakdown outside the hotel room, feel very inappropriate. I wasn't familiar with the phrase "force majuere" going into the movie. I'm told it means, more or less, the same as "act of god" in legal terms. That makes me like the title more. The avalanche scene that sets the film in motion is appropriately disorienting. I had no idea that would define the movie. Everything after that is just uncomfortable to sit through. Ebba keeps bringing up the avalanche to others, highlighting how Tomas ran off, and those scenes felt interminable. When Mats and Fanni get in a similar hypothetical argument, I didn't know whether to laugh or cringe. This movie was very worth watching even though it isn't quite dialed into my frequency. I'm trying to up my foreign film count and this is a good one.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment