Monday, March 13, 2017

Delayed Reaction: Hotel Transylvania 2

The Pitch: Well, the first movie did better than we dreamed it would, so let's make another. This time, with...uh...a baby.


Despite all the crap that people say about Adam Sandler's movies these days, which I also say, there is one thing I like a lot. He has "his guys". He has this group of friends that he can always get to work with him who he has a rapport with and knows how to use. Creatively, it's led him to a dead end in recent years, but I still like it in theory. It's becoming a more popular notion these days. Judd Apatow and co. have been doing it for nearly as long as Sandler, sticking with a core group. The assorted anthology TV series have taken to employing repertory players for the seasons. You can't teach that kind of familiarity.

Now, being animated, there's not quite as much value to this for the Hotel Transylvania movies. But, if I'm looking for a way to come into the movies favorably, that's how I do it. And, they got Mel Brooks, so how can I complain? I found it funny how similar this felt to Addams Family Values. It's comically spooky. It added a baby. There's even a summer camp with outmatched camp counselors. I watched this right after seeing Paddington and it's interesting how both have messages about how to treat the "others" in society. HT2 also has some major issues with Millenials, but what movie or TV show these days doesn't. We're basically in "Joe Friday lectures hippies" territory (but that happens with every generation).

This is where I could finally start talking about the movie more specifically. However, I don't want to. That's the nice things about the Delayed Reaction: I never set any rules for them. See it if you want. I didn't get much out of it. I'm still on the hunt for that great comedy movie that I think Adam Sandler still has in him.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment