Friday, March 10, 2017

Delayed Reaction: Enemy

The Pitch: A man tracks down his doppelganger and may have a mental breakdown along the way.

I think I'm a Dennis Villeneuve fan. I wasn't trying to be. I just keep seeing his movies. Prisoners was interesting and had an ending that still unsettles me. Sicario looked slick as hell. Arrival bounced around in my head for a while too. It looks like Enemy is going to be another one I can't easily forget. That's because I don't get it. I kind of do, but not really. It's a weird movie about the subconscious. Are the two Jake Gyllenhaals the same person? Just one person? Are they both extensions of the same man's personality? Which one is real? I have so many questions and I don't think there's a clear answer to any of them. It's not quite the mind bend that Mulholland Drive was. It wasn't far off from it. Regardless, Jake Gyllenhaal was very good in both parts. He does nervous and on-edge as well as anyone. I liked Melanie Laurent and Sarah Gadon, although I can't remember which one played which role (I think that was kind of the point). It's a fun movie, and the end had me saying "what the fuck?" out loud even though no one was around me.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment