Thursday, September 6, 2018

September Movie Preview


If there is a slow period on the movie calendar, it's either September or April. By September, the last remnants of the Summer season are over but the Oscar hopefuls haven't arrived yet. Luckily, studios have been using the time to release a lot of risky movies that will probably be financial failures, but have a lot of sleeper potential.



2018
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug 
2017
 Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | June | July | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec   
2016
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | June | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec  
2015
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | June | Jul | Aug | Sept | Oct | Nov | Dec 
2014
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
2013
Mar |  Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec



9/7
The Nun from the Conjuring movies gets her own backstory.
Working For It: The Conjuring is doing the kind of franchising that fits naturally with the premise: they have a room of haunted artifacts, all with backstories. The Nun has pretty easy marks to hit in order to be sufficiently scary. This looks like a home run. I like that they cast Vera Farmiga's daughter Taissa for the lead role too. It completes the circle in a way.
Working Against It: Horror prequels take some suspense out of things. The Nun will win. We already know that. The Annabelle spinoff did nothing for me - too many jump scares. The Nun trailer suggests much of the same.
Interest Level: Apathetic

A woman gets revenge on everyone when her family's murderers go unpunished.
Working For It: I tend to forget that Jennifer Garner made her name kicking asses in Alias. And what better director for this than the guy who directed Taken?
Working Against It: Post Alias (and even during), Garner built her reputation on being nice. I worry that she's been making Catch and Release, Butter, and Love, Simon too long to swing back to something this severe. Liam Nesson was also a counter-intuitive pick for Taken, which reinvented his career. People forget how much of an accident that movie was though. And Peppermint has no "special set of skills" speech. Big loss.
Interest Level: Uninterested

An army wife's faith in God is rocked by the death of her husband who dies in action.
Working For It: Religious films are making a push this month from the look of things. The director of God's Not Dead is going in a less confrontational direction. The cast is fine, even though I'd need help coming up with the name of any of them.
Working Against It: My stance isn't new. Enough of the religious films have rested on appealing only to their target audience for so long, that it's up to them to convince me to change me mind about them. This isn't enough to change anything based on the trailer (which gives away too much of the plot, btw).
Interest Level: Uninterested

9/14
A mother makes friends when a mysterious mother of another kid in her son's class who then goes missing.
Working For It: I love Anna Kendrick. Blake Lively and Linda Cardellini too. Henry Goulding won me over in Crazy Rich Asians. Paul Feig has made many movies I've enjoyed a lot. The pieces add up to a movie I'm excited for.
Working Against It: Ok, but this isn't a comedy. I don't even think it's trying to be one. Paul Feig has been directing exclusively comedies since Freaks and Geeks. This is a massive tonal departure and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that. I'd love it if he could pull it off. I'm just not sure anyone will be ready for something this different.
Interest Level: Excited
A predator lands on Earth and starts killing everyone.
Working For It: The writer/director of The Nice Guys and Iron Man 3, who rose to fame writing buddy action comedies in the 80s like Lethal Weapon taking on a reboot of the famed 80s franchise. That's enough to get my attention. Packing it with "TV All-Stars" like Sterling K. Brown, Yvonne Strahovski, Olivia Munn, and Keegan-Michael Key is a good move. So is including the kid from Room.
Working Against It: I'm suspicious of late Summer action movies with no apparent identity. There's potential here. The mix of actors could do very well with Shane Black's banter if that's the direction the movie chooses to go. That's not on display in the trailer though. I don't see any stand-out action set-pieces either. The odds are good that this will be another Total Recall.
Interest Level: Curious

A sequel to Unbroken about Louis Zamperini's life after the war.
Working For It: You know what, Unbroken didn't need a sequel, but I am a little curious about making one and going in a different direction with it. There's a religious angle to this one, which gives me a great idea: there should be religious sequels to more movies. I'd love Taxi Driver 2: On the Road to Salvation or Pastor Gump. Maybe that's the key to getting a real crossover hit.
Working Against It: It is a much lower grade sequel in just about every way. Remember, Angelina Jolie assembled a crew of legends behind the camera and cast up-and-comers for the movie. I'd be impressed if anyone in Path to Redemption was even in the discussion for an Oscar nomination in their career.
Interest Level: Uninterested

The true story of a boy who became a drug kingpin and FBI Informant before he turned 16.
Working For It: I'm digging the eclectic cast.  It has recent Oscar nominees and winners like Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Bruce Dern as well as ascending talents like RJ Cyler, Brian Tyree Henry, and Bel Powley. The true story angle will help to sell a lot of this. The rest is riding on newcomer Richie Merritt.
Working Against It: Yeah, because we really need another story about the one white guy who thrived among minorities. Kidding aside, so much of this will depend on Merritt that I'm not comfortable getting excited for this.
Interest Level: Curious

American Chaos [Limited]
A documentary about someone trying to understand the appeal of Trump.
Working For It: The first 3/4s of the trailer sounds like an honest curiosity about the appeal of Trump. It's a "Blue stater" admitting that there's something he's missing about what people like about Trump and he wants to understand it. It sounds like genuine bridge-building.
Working Against It: The last 1/4 of the trailer shows its hand much more and reaches the same conclusion that I've seen before 100 times already.
Interest Level: Apathetic

Emma Thompson is a judge who must make a decision in a major case while also dealing with the problems in her own life.
Working For It: I'm getting some Denial vibes from this - a British legal drama that isn't looking to over-sensationalize. I'll see virtually anything with Emma Thompson. I'm a fan of Stanley Tucci as well.
Working Against It: There's a decent chance this will be Law & Order: SVU Season 1. That's the season when they would check in on Stabler's home life all the time. They dropped that by season 2 because, even though the scenes weren't bad, they just weren't nearly as interesting as the case of the week. I suspect the version of this movie mainly focusing on the legal case Thompson has to decide on would be better that the split approach they are going with.
Interest Level: Intrigued

A filmmaker secretly films the awful conditions of a Chinese labor camp after an Oregon woman finds an SOS letter in an item she bought that was made there.
Working For It: I think anything that involves a smuggled SOS note is worth following up on. That sets off a chain of events that I'd like to see.
Working Against It: The question of any documentary is length. Could this story be told better as a 5-10 minute news story or a 30-40 minute short? I don't know. I suspect that the SOS letter is the most interesting part of the story. That's at the beginning. How does the rest of the movie sustain the momentum?
Interest Level: Curious

Lizzie [Limited]
A reimagining of the Lizzie Borden murders.
Working For It: People sure are intrigued by this story. I like that this isn't trying to be factual. Since we only know so much about the murders, why not throw out a theory. The idea for this is that Lizzie (Chloe Sevigny) falls for a maid (Kristen Stewart), which somehow drives her to kill.
Working Against It: I don't see a TV or movie having a better take on the Lizzie Borden murders than Smart Guy did back in the late 1990s.
Interest Level: Apathetic

Science Fair [Limited]
A Documentary about kids competing in an international science fair.
Working For It: It's an effective documentary premise: bring a camera into a specific world that most of us don't know much about and introduce us to the main players.
Working Against It: Part of me wonders if Christopher Guest has destroyed my ability to really love a documentary like this after mockumentaries like Best in Show so effectively parodied the style.
Interest Level: Intrigued

9/21
Michael Moore, doing his thing again. This time, about Trump.
Working For It: I won't lie. I think the title is accidentally perfect. There was no way to plan it. It just happened.
Working Against It: I have no 'in' with this. I hated Fahrenheit 9/11. I think Michael Moore is insufferable. I hate this style of documentary filmmaking. There's a "boy who cried wolf" aspect to it as well. Bush  was the worst thing ever. Now Trump is. The next one in 2028 or whenever will then be the worst.
Interest Level: Repelled

A supernatural adventure with an orphaned boy living in a house with many clocks on the walls.
Working For It: I don't really know what this movie is about. I know that it looks like it should be produced by Guillermo del Toro or Steven Spielberg*. It has Jack Black, which sounds right for a movie that could be a Goosebumps sequel easily enough. It also has Cate Blanchett, which is a little surprising. Director Eli Roth had made decidedly grimmer movies before this, but I could see this being his Spy Kids easily enough. Kyle MacLachlan could bring some Lynch-ian energy to this.
Working Against It: None of this addresses that I still have no idea what this movie is. I'll assume it's Goosebumps meets Monster House. I'm indifferent about both of those and assume I'll be indifferent about this.
Interest Level: Apathetic
*It's produced by Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment, but Spielberg is not listed specifically as a producer.

The story of a couple and how the people in their lives influence what happens with them. (Vague. I know)
Working For It: This looks like the ultimate boom or bust movie of 2018. It's got a cast full of Oscar Isaac, Olivia Wilde, Annette Bening, Olivia Cook, Jean Smart, Mandy Patinkin, and Antonio Banderas. It's from writer/director Dan Fogelman, who is behind both This Is Us and Crazy, Stupid Love. The man likes twisty stories about the intersection of a lot of lives. He's great at tying things together and/or emotional payoffs. The best version of this movie is something spectacular.
Working Against It: Then again, I know his game now. I can tell that the marketing of this is strategic. It's hiding something. Now that I'm looking for it, can it work as well? The reason why I love Crazy, Stupid Love and why This Is Us became an instant hit is because people didn't expect the surprises at the time. Is Dan Fogelman in danger of being the M. Night Shaymalan of family dramas? I hope not.
Interest Level: Intrigued

Love, Gilda [Limited]
A documentary about Gilda Radner told from her own words.
Working For It: Frankly, I haven't heard enough of Gilda Radner's story. Mixing the doc with letters that she wrote has a Zen Diaries quality that I like. And they assemble a good collection of comedy talent to talk about her: both people who knew her (Chevy Chase, Lorne Michaels) and people who were inspired by her (Amy Poehler, Melissa McCarthy, Bill Hader).
Working Against It: This is probably more of a TV experience than a theater one. There's isn't much against seeing it though.
Interest Level: Curious

Two assassins in the Wild West hunt down a gold prospector.
Working For It: This feels right. My appreciation for Westerns has grown over the last couple years. It  looks comedic in a Coen brothers way. John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix as the titular brothers look like a good match. It'll also be nice to see Nightcrawler stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Riz Ahmed reunite in something with a much lighter tone.
Working Against It: Until now, I've associated director Jacques Audiard with much more serious dramas. This appears to be a big departure.
Interest Level: Intrigued

9/28
A horror night at an amusement park turns real.
Working For It: I nearly wrote that I covered this last month already. Then I realized that was a different movie (Blood Fest) with an identical premise. Hell Fest looks like the slightly more conventional play; less nichey. It has the kind of young cast where one person may end up winning an Emmy in 15 years, the rest will get bit parts for a while before disappearing, and whoever you think the first one will be is probably wrong.
Working Against It: I don't know. Just not my kind of horror. I feel like a lot of this will rely on people making dumb decisions to further the plot along.
Interest Level: Apathetic

A modern take on a classic tale.
Working For It: There's a reason people keep readapting this book. It's a nice story. I don't recall ever seeing it updated to modern times. That could be fun.
Working Against It: Lea Thompson is the only cast member I know by name. That hints at the level of the production. And, I suspect we'll find that there's a reason the story doesn't normally get updated.
Interest Level: Apathetic

A motley crew of adults try to get their GEDs  at night school.
Working For It: I guess this is when we find out if Tiffany Haddish is sustainable. She reunites with her Girls Trip director and gets a co-lead role this time. Kevin Hart is a star who is willing to go as big as Haddish wants. If nothing else, hopefully Haddish comes out of this looking like an established star.
Working Against It: Because, if Haddish doesn't run away with this, there's not much else left. It looks like a very generic PG-13 comedy. Hart is only as good as the material he's given.
Interest Level: Apathetic

An animated movie about a yeti who goes searching for humans.
Working For It: This has a weird voice cast. Channing Tatum, Zendaya, James Corden, Gina Rodriguez, Danny DeVito, Common, Yara Shahidi, and Lebron James. I don't know what to do with this. I think I'm at least curious.
Working Against It: I liked it better when it was called Monster's Inc.
Interest Level: Apathetic

All About Nina [Limited]
A female stand up comedian moves from NYC to LA.
Working For It: I'm happy to watch Mary Elizabeth Winstead as a stand-up comedian for 90 minutes.
Working Against It: I'd feel a lot better about this if I saw more stand-ups in the credits for the movie.
Interest Level: Curious


The Old Man & the Gun [Limited]
A lifelong gentleman robber navigates the final act of his storied career.
Working For It: After Pete's Dragon and A Ghost Story, I'll give anything that writer/director David Lowery makes a shot. Robert Redford looks like he's at peak movie star charm. I don't see enough of Sissy Spacek either.
Working Against It: Like Lowery's other movies, there's not much in the trailer that excites me.
Interest Level: Intrigued

No comments:

Post a Comment