Thursday, September 13, 2018

Emmy Picks: Supporting Actor and Actress


It's Emmy time. One of my favorite times of the year to overthink and spend obsessive amounts of time researching. If you haven't picked up on how this goes from the last few years, let me explain. Over the next few days, I'll go through all the Primetime Emmy categories. I will order the nominees from most to least likely to win and explain why I think that. I'll also include a Biggest Snub because I like to complain, and I'll note My Personal Favorite to show how often I'd like to be wrong about my predictions.

First, I'd like to discuss something. Vote splitting has always been a theoretical problem for Emmy nominees. When multiple people from the same series are nominated, intuitively, that suggests the support for the show would be split when it comes to voting. On a weighted ballot, that's not actually a big concern. If two actors from the same show are your first and second pick, that doesn't leave a lot of room for a nominee from another show to swoop in and win instead. It's possible, but not mathematically as significant in a straight tally - the current Emmy voting system. When it's a straight tally, it gets a lot harder for nominees from the same show to win. Think about it. Six nominees. 40% of the voting body is in love with a specific show that has two people nominated and neither of those two actors is clearly better than the other (i.e. not like that year when Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki were both nominated for The Big Bang Theory). If only one person was nominated, something close to that 40% of the vote would go to the one nominee, which would almost certainly be enough to win. By splitting that vote, it may only take a third nominee to get in the low 20s to win. This is all theoretical and we'll never know the actual final tallies, but it's a very real concern for the many shows with multiple nominations.
Ok. Onto the picks.


Outstanding Supporting Actress - Comedy Series
[My Favorite] Kate McKinnon (Saturday Night Live - “Host: Bill Hader”) (NBC) This is a massive 8-nominee field, so anything could happen. I mean, someone could win with only 15% of the vote. McKinnon won in 2016 & 2017 and is no less beloved. Until she loses, I see no reason to pick against her.

Alex Borstein (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - “Doink”) (Amazon) If I assume that Maisel is a dark horse to win for series, then Bornstein could be a good indicator of it. This is truly a supporting role and Borstein is a long-time veteran finally getting some love.

Betty Gilpin (GLOW) (Netflix -“Debbie Does Something”) Gilpin is a major part of GLOW. You could almost argue her as a lead. What does give me pause is that a lack of a Lead Actress nomination for Alison Brie may indicate that love for the show with Emmy voters doesn't run that deep.

Zazie Beetz (Atlanta - “Helen”) (FX) Extra attention from Deadpool 2 certainly couldn't hurt. Beetz has one of those weird roles. She doesn't show up in all the episodes of Atlanta, but when she does, she often gets the spotlight of a Lead Role. The main thing that gives me pause is that I suspect all the Atlanta love is centered on Donald Glover.

Megan Mullally (Will & Grace -“Rosie’s Quinceañera”) (NBC) Mullally is a two-time winner for the show in the original run (2000, 2006). She's the only love that the Will & Grace revival got though.

Laurie Metcalf (Roseanne - “No Country for Old Women”) (ABC) Metcalf is a three-time winner for the show in the original run (1992-1994). And, with her Oscar nomination this year for Lady Bird (Note: she should've won), I wanted to put her higher on the list. Then Roseanne got herself fired and made the show toxic. I'm amazed Metcalf even got the nomination.

Aidy Bryant (Saturday Night Live - “Host: Chadwick Boseman”) (NBC) Explain to me how someone from SNL wins this and it's not Kate McKinnon. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Leslie Jones (Saturday Night Live - “Host: Donald Glover”) (NBC) And if it's between Bryant and Jones, I'll go with the one who hits her marks and remembers her lines more often.

Biggest Snub: Claudia O'Doherty (Love) (Netflix) Love is a very uneven show, but whenever O'Doherty shows up, she's delightful. Her 30th birthday episode is the highlight of the season.

Outstanding Supporting Actor - Comedy Series
[My Favorite] Henry Winkler (Barry - “Chapter Four: Commit… to You?”) (HBO) Wow. What a group. I don't have any good precedent to point to for picking Winkler. I just think he's a legend who has never won. He's on a show with a lot of Emmy love and it's a great role.
And, when I say "he's a legend", I'm afraid that what you heard was "he's a very big figure in TV history". What I said is "he's a legend". The Fonz is legitimately in the discussion to make it on the TV Mt. Rushmore. Winkler not having an Emmy is like Michael Jordan not having an MVP award. Here's the chance for Emmy voters to fix this.

Alec Baldwin (Saturday Night Live - “Host: Donald Glover”) (NBC) He won last year and Emmy love for SNL hasn't waned. Personally, I think he's been phoning it in for the last year, but I don't trust Emmy voters to recognize that.

Tony Shalhoub (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - “Thank You and Good Night”) (Amazon) Shalhoub is a three time winner for Monk back in the day (2003, 2005, 2006). Emmy voter love for him runs deep. His role in Maisel is great. My only concern is that he really didin't get enough to do.

Louie Anderson (Baskets - “Thanksgiving”) (FX) He was the surprise winner in 2016; a good reminder that the change in voting rules benefits performances that are unique. Anderson's win though feels a lot like one of those one-time, season one wins that happen when they catch voters by surprise.

Brian Tyree Henry (Atlanta - “Woods”) (FX) Similar to Zazie Beetz, I'm not convinced that the Atlanta love extends to anything that doesn't end with Donald Glover giving an acceptance speech. It's a shame too, because Henry is great in the show.

Kenan Thompson (Saturday Night Live - “Host: John Mulaney”) (NBC) Kenan is the longest tenured performer on SNL ever* and is the ultimate stabilizing utility player. It's a black mark on Emmy voters that it took them this long to nominate him. Getting a win with his first nomination wouldn't be an overcorrection in my mind.

*Darrell Hammond technically has more episode credits, but he's acrued many of them as the announcer, not a performer.

Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - “Kimmy and the Beest”) (Netflix) By the way. I am aware that I have the three black nominees as my least likely to win. I really don't think that's playing into how the voters will decide. I just don't think they have good chances to win in this category this year. Burgess is a four-time nominee for UKS. I don't care for the performance though and Emmy affection for the series is on the decline.

Biggest Snub: Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine Nine) (NBC) I was hoping that Braugher falling out of the nomination field last year was a fluke that they would correct this year. Nope. Emmy voters have somehow come to the conclusion that seven other actors were better than him. 

Outstanding Supporting Actress - Drama Series
[My Favorite] Yvonne Strahovski (The Handmaid's Tale - “Women’s Work”) (Hulu) Strahovski is a first time nominee and one of three from her show in this category alone. I'm not sure how anyone watches this season and isn't blown away by her.

Millie Bobby Brown (Stranger Things - “The Pollywog”) (Netflix) Season 2 put even more focus on Eleven which could benefit the breakout star of the show. The big thing working against her is the general aversion voters have to awarding young performers.

Thandie Newton (Westworld - “Akane No Mai”) (HBO) You could call her a lead and I wouldn't have a problem with that. You could also call her the best part of the series and I wouldn't disagree*. I really thought she'd win this last year. Maybe that prediction is just a year slow.

*Evan Rachel Wood is arguably the face of the series, but I'd rather watch a scene with Newton than Wood.

Vanessa Kirby (The Crown - “Beryl”) (Netflix) Like Strahovski, Kirby wasn't nominated last year but used her increased focus in season two to get a nomination this year. Clare Foy gets all the attention in The Crown. I'm worried voters won't remember Kirby now.

Ann Dowd (The Handmaid's Tale - “June”) (Hulu) She won last year, which surprised me. She didn't have as much to do in season 2, so a win is less likely.
Here's a tortured analogy though. Ann Dowd is often confused with Margo Martindale. Martindale managed to win Guest Actress Emmys for The Americans despite having barely anything to do. Seriously, one win was for an episode in which she has a forgettable conversation in a diner for a couple minutes and that's it. So, if voters confuse the two actresses, Dowd could benefit in the same way Martindale has.

Alexis Bledel (The Handmaid's Tale - “Unwomen”) (Hulu) This is my favorite group of nominees this year. Leterally all of the women have a good chance and argument to win. Bledel won as a Guest Actress last year and was just as good this year with more episodes.

Lena Headey (Game Of Thrones - “The Dragon and the Wolf”) (HBO) Headey is a four-time nominee on a show that won the Drama Series award the last two years it was eligible. When she's on the screen, you can't take your eyes off her. Frankly, I can't believe I'm calling her the least likely to win. This is a wide open field.

Biggest Snub: Holly Taylor (The Americans) (FX) Over six seasons, Taylor went from being an annoying liability to an essential part of the series. It's a shame Emmy voters couldn't find a way to look past the two leads.

Outstanding Supporting Actor - Drama Series
[My Favorite] Peter Dinklage (Game Of Thrones - “The Dragon and the Wolf”) (HBO) Dinklage is the designated Emmy winner for Game of Thrones. Since Emmy voters can't give everyone in the huge ensemble an Emmy, he's the one they use as a stand-in. Dinklage won in 2015 and 2011. He's been nominated for every season. None of the other nominees blew me away this year, so Dinklage is my default choice.

Matt Smith (The Crown - “Mystery Man”) (Netflix) There was a lot of Prince Phillip in season 2. I thought he was annoying, but he was annoying a lot. And he was meant to be a drip. I think that means he did good work.

David Harbour (Stranger Things - “Will the Wise”) (Netflix) Harbour is fine in Stranger Things. I don't get why he has so much love from the voters. He plays off Millie Bobby Brown really well in season 2 though.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Game Of Thrones -“The Spoils of War”) (HBO) This category is prone to unexpected wins. Ben Mendelsohn won in 2016 for Bloodline. That was for season 2, when his character was dead, not season 1, when he was vital to everything. Bobby Cannavale randomly won in 2013 for Boardwalk Empire as well. Michael Emerson won for a later season of LOST. I expect to be surprised by the winner.

Joseph Fiennes (The Handmaid's Tale - “First Blood”) (Hulu) I'm not sure if Fiennes is great at playing an unlikable character or awful at playing a complex character. Either way, love for The Handmaid's Tale has to be really, really high for Fiennes to win.

Mandy Patinkin (Homeland - “Species Jump”) (SHO) I'm not sure how he's still being nominated. Didn't we all agree to collectively forget about the show?

Biggest Snub: Noah Emmerich (The Americans) (FX) For years, Emmerich has balanced out the show for years. Without him, Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys wouldn't be able to get away with their performances. It is baffling to think that voters could recognize how good Russell and Rhys are without voting for Emmerich too.

Outstanding Supporting Actress - Limited Series/TV Movie
Penélope Cruz (The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story - “Ascent”) (FX) When I've heard people talk about The Assassination Of Gianni Versace, I've been just as likely to hear Cruz mentioned first as Darren Criss. In a year without a winner locked up ahead of time, that's as good a sign as I can find.

Judith Light (The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story - “A Random Killing”) (FX) I've heard a lot of good things about Light's work on the show as well. There may be some residual love for her work on Transparent.

Letitia Wright (Black Mirror - "Black Museum") (Netflix) People really loved Black Panther. And she was good in this.

[My Favorite] Merritt Wever (Godless - “The Ladies of La Belle”) (Netflix) Weaver won unexpectedly for Supporting Actress in a Comedy series back in 2013 (and had a delightfully brief acceptance speech).

Adina Porter (American Horror Story: Cult - “11/9”) (FX) To win for AHS, you normally need to have a Oscar already.

Sara Bareilles (Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert) (NBC) Maybe I'm underestimating the popularity of Jesus Christ Superstar.

Biggest Snub: Angela Lansbury (Little Women) (PBS) 15 nominations without a single win. Why not give her a 16th and a chance to finally win?

Outstanding Supporting Actor - Limited Series/TV Movie
[My Favorite] Jeff Daniels (Godless - “An Incident at Creede”) (Netflix) It's been his to lose since the show premiered. He dominated the series.

Brandon Victor Dixon (Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert) (NBC) "Man, that Judas was good" is the most common thing I heard anyone say about JCS Live.

Ricky Martin (The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story - “The Man Who Would Be Vogue”) (FX) Vote splitting will probably hurt all three ACS nominees. Ricky Martin surprised the most people though.

Edgar Ramírez (The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story - “Ascent”) (FX) The season is named after his character, after all.

Finn Wittrock (The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story - “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”) (FX) Oh yeah. He was in it too.

Michael Stuhlbarg (The Looming Tower - “9/11”) (Hulu) Stuhlbarg is a mensch.

John Leguizamo (Waco - “The Strangers Across the Street”) (Paramount) Why was he nominated? I watched this show. He didn't need to be nominated.

Biggest Snub: Scoot McNairy (Godless) (Netflix) I'll be honest. It's a pretty weak field, and Jeff Daniels is such a lock to win, that everyone else hardly matters. I liked McNairy in Godless as well. It's not his fault that he was overshadowed so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment