Sunday, April 15, 2012

Movie Reaction: The Cabin in the Woods

(I need to begin by mentioning that since you don't need depth for a reaction, I will be saying nothing here that you couldn't learn from a TV spot or a glance at the IMDB page.)

Formula: Evil Dead + self-awareness



Cast: Everyone here plays their part pretty perfectly. Truth be told, I haven't seen anything most of the cast has been in before, so I can't compare their performance to anything else they've done. Honestly, think of the cast of the Evil Dead without the campiness...unintended campiness, perhaps.

Plot: I'm not even going to attempt this. It balances genres with typical Whedon precision. If there was any justice in the world, the screenplay would be nominated for some awards, and this is coming from someone who is not a Joss Whedon fanboys.

Elephant in the Room: If anything in the movie is spoiled for you, is it still worth seeing? Simply put, yes. This isn't "The Sixth Sense". It is not about the twist, or twists, or odd developmental directions. Personally, I think there's enough nuance to it that it's not really possible to ruin it in a few sentences.

To Sum Things Up:
See it. This has been the best movie I've seen since the awards season ended and it's more accessible than it looks.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

1 comment:

  1. You have seen Fran Kranz in DOLLHOUSE! and Chris Hemsworth, no?
    I feel like the plot is hard to discuss or explain to someone who hasn't seen it.
    Whedon bias aside, excellent movie.

    ReplyDelete