Wednesday, April 11, 2012

TV Show Reaction: Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23

Ok. This is me admitting that this blog that started off with lofty expectations (seriously, you don't call something Eclectic Boredom without a certain amount of pretentiousness) is really just "What did Alex watch this week". I average about 5 hits a day. That mean Mike* and 4 Russians, so what the fuck do I care.

* Thanks Mike.



I just watch the premiere of "The Bitch in Apt. 23" tonight. By the way, that show is just "The Bitch" from now on because that title is more demanding than HIMYM**. The only thing I can say without question is that the pilot tried too hard. Beyond that, we will see how it evolves over time. Then again, it premiered in April, so fuck it.

** If you don't know what that is, you must be one of my Russians.***

*** It turns out, they have How I Met Your Mother there too, so even the Russians don't have an excuse.

Cast: I like Krysten Ritter. I'm not sure why. I also enjoy a celebrity making fun of himself (You can thank NPH is Harold and Kumar for that). So, James Van Der Beek is a win as a character in my book. I even like the crazy neighbor. No, not the masturbating one. The one from Crazy, Stupid Love (Liza Lapira, I had to look it up). For sheer cast potential and replacement for Happy Endings timeslot, I'm probably in for the season with this one.

Plot: God I hope the plots are more polished after this one. I really believe this pilot was shopped around to a cable channel before landing with ABC. It so badly wants to be raunchy, but the fact that even the title is scared to ruffle any feathers makes me worried about the precarious balance of the entire series between inappropriate and network TV ready.
I'll put it this way. The pilot played like the better rated show in an hour comedy block with Whitney. Take that as you will.

Soundtrack: Some shows forgo the soundtrack (Parks and Rec, The Office). Others use it in Lieu of a laugh track (30 Rock). Others use it so often that it feels like it's trying to force you to laugh (The Bitch). Maybe I'm the only one who feels that way about the pilot, but I have to say, I'm hoping that the sound track cools it in future episodes.

Will I Watch it Again:
Yeah. The DVR is already set. This show gives me every indication that I will be tired of it by season 2. There was enough that worked for me to keep watching.

Oh yeah, Elephant in the Room:
Why is this show premiering in April. Shouldn't that be a good indicator that this is a burn off show? Historically, yes, but if this leads to a push for more shorter run network TV seasons, I might be for it. As for this specifically, I think this says more about how certain ABC was that other shows would be cancelled by now.

2 comments:

  1. I would at least watch an episode, if nothing else, because of who's in it. I've liked Krysten Ritter well enough on Gilmore Girls and Breaking Bad. And, when I heard JVB was playing himself in a show, I was like YES, THAT IS PERFECT!

    This is how I feel about your blog readership...

    http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/49/dawson_crying.gif

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, love the gif.
    After that, I'm having second thoughts about thanking you.
    Finally, the thanks are in tact because of my love of that gif.

    ReplyDelete