Sunday, October 14, 2018

Delayed Reaction: True Grit

The Pitch: The Coens. The Dude. A western. And a little girl.

A young girl hires a U.S. Marshall to catch the man who killed her father.

There are only two (technically three) directors that I believe this next statement is true about: You really need to see their movies twice to appreciate them. Those directors are Paul Thomas Anderson and the Coen brothers. For everyone else, that tends to be a cop out. I don't even feel great saying it about them. Saying you need to see something twice is just another form of "You just didn't get it", which is one of the most maddening arguments that people make. Normally, when someone says that as a defense, the issue isn't that I didn't get it. I got it. I just didn't like it. Which is fine, people can disagree. We all have soft/blind spots and pet peeves.

With PTA and the Coens, their intent isn't normally apparent right away. PTA's Phantom Thread is a comedy at heart, but unless you know that going in, you can spend a long time figuring that out. I hated the end of There Will Be Blood the first time I saw it to the point that it dominated my response to the movie overall. It took a second viewing to really appreciate the acting and gorgeous cinematography without getting distracted by the direction the story went in. With the Coens, the trouble I run into is that I genuinely don't know where they are going with a movie until the very end. Even when I know it's a Job story (A Serious Man) or an Odyssey (O, Brother Where Art Thou?), I'm not ready for the beats.

This isn't to say I can't like a Coen brothers movie with one viewing. Inside Llewyn Davis became my favorite of their movies by the end credits scroll in the theater. It doesn't take much to be charmed by The Big Lebowski right away. I don't appreciate what they are doing until at least the second time though. And I like that. Their movies are worth that second viewing.

I've seen True Grit before. It was only 7 years ago, maybe less. By all means, I should've had a much better memory of that movie than I did. So, my recent second viewing of it got to be both new and familiar. Time has only been kind to that film. I'm starting to really love Westerns, which wasn't true even two years ago. I'm especially fond of the more modern entries in the genre to see how they come to terms with the unsavory elements that the older movies ignored. Josh Brolin keeps getting better. Matt Damon is more established. It no longer feels like his "trying out" as a Hollywood elite. Hailee Steinfeld has proven with movies like The Edge of Seventeen in particular, that her work in True Grit was more of a discovery than a fluke. It also has my newly-named favorite actor Domhnall Gleeson in a small role. Perhaps the only downside since the movie is that Jeff Bridges hasn't lost the marble-mouth that he picked up for this (See: RIPD, Hell or High Water, Kingsman: The Golden Circle).
I liked this movie a hell of a lot more the second time around. I forgot how damn good Haillee Steinfeild is. She absolutely deserved that Oscar nomination she got, and my hypothetical vote is going to her over Melissa Leo (who is very good as well in The Fighter). If anything, Steinfeld should've lost to Natalie Portman as a lead actress that year. The bickering between Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges) and LaBoeuf (Matt Damon) is something I could watch for hours. Roger Deakins knows how to shoot the Wild West. Between this and The Assassination ofJesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, I don't want to see anyone else shoot that era. True Grit is a great reminder that even middle tier Coen brothers is better than just about anything else you'll find.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment