Sunday, April 23, 2017

Delayed Reaction: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

The Pitch: It's all in the title, right?

This is one of those films that keeps popping back up. It was ignored when it first came out, but assorted critics love to bring it up now as a hidden gem. With Casey Affleck all over this most recent award season, it's been even more prominent, since it got Affleck his first Oscar nomination.

As soon as I started it, I regretted not seeing this film on Bluray or HD. Even on a DVD, the cinematography looks great. It has the feeling of a lived in western and uses the landscape well. It probably didn't need to be as long, but if it meant a couple more shots of characters standing in a prairie field, I'm fine with it. Speaking of the length, this really is long for how slow it is. I was prepared for the length and pacing, so it didn't bother me as much as it has for those unprepared for it.

I love a cast like this that gets better over time. If I would've seen this when I came out, I would've been like "Oh, it's Brad Pitt and Ben's brother and that woman from that new Showtime show and a bunch of white guys with facial hair." Now, I'm like, Oh, it's Brad Pitt, and the Affleck brother who actually gets nominated for his acting, and the wonderful Mary Louise Parker from Weeds, and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), and Sam Rockwell (who is great in everything), and Paul Schneider from Parks & Rec before they wiped him of the earth, and noted Western character actor Garret Dillahunt, and Sam Shepard (who I should've recognized even in 2007 as 'that guy from that other movie') and a bunch of other white guys with facial hair.". The difference ten years can make.

A few years ago, I saw writer/director Andrew Dominik's movie Killing Them Softly and didn't care for it. I was prepared to write-off TAoJJbtCRF (my shorthand for this long-ass title) as another director whose appeal is lost on me. As it turns out, I liked TAoJJbtCRF enough that now I want to go back and rewatch Killing Them Softly to see if I missed something.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment