Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Movie Reaction: The Old Man and the Gun

Formula: Heat - the heat
or
"That wasn't too serious. It was just an enjoyable, easy to watch movie. It's hard to find movies like that anymore."
Thanks, elderly lady talking to her friend a few seats down from me during the credits. You put it as succinctly as I ever could.

The Old Man and the Gun is David Lowery's latest movie, starring Robert Redford, Sissy Spacek, Casey Affleck and a few others you may not recognize until you see their names in the end credits. It's about a career bank robber played by Redford in the twilight of his storied career. And no, I'm not sure if that last part was referring to Redford or his character in the movie.

I saw the movie because of David Lowery. I'm on board for whatever he's making at this point. He got more out of Pete's Dragon than anyone had any right to. The fact that he directed an episode of the criminally underseen Rectify is a feather in his cap. Most importantly, A Ghost Story is my favorite movie of last year, even though I can't explain why it hypnotizes me every time I watch it.

Old Man is a much simpler and more straightforward movie. It might even be too simple and straightforward. Redford plays Forrest Tucker, who has been in and out of jail throughout his life. He robs banks. He's nice about it. Polite even. He always has a smile on his face. He's really good at it too. Best of all, it's what he loves to do. Otherwise, he would've stopped years ago. Money doesn't appear to be an issue after so long. He gets distracted though after he meets a farm owner played by Sissy Spacek. They have a sweet romance. He tells her what he does for a living. She doesn't entirely believe him. At the same time, after an embarrassing run-in with Forrest, Detective John Hunt starts pursuing him. And that's about it in terms of story. Through Affleck, we learn about who Forrest was. Through Spacek, we learn about who he is now. The movie isn't built to surprise anyone with how it all plays out. I suppose the one surprising thing is how light it remains. It isn't a comedy. It's more of a good-natured drama. Almost like listening to a group of friends talking about a harrowing adventure they went on. All the edges are softened while the significance remains in tact.

Redford is pure charisma and charm. I don't know that this will net him an Oscar nomination - it's a little too lightweight to lock that up. He sure does remind everyone what a movie star looks like though. Spacek, who is having quite a year between this and Castle Rock, also reminds people how she got that Oscar. Most of her work is done with what she doesn't say. She sees right through Forrest but also can't figure him out*. Affleck is there to ensure that the movie has some kind of plot that moves forward, although Lowery also finds gives some thematic purpose to him being there as a philosophical contrast to Forrest. Forrest knows how to smile. John doesn't.
*I tried out many "missing the Forrest for the trees" puns and couldn't get any of them to work.

Yesterday, I mentioned how Halloween was a movie I liked more before I started reflecting on it. The Old Man and the Gun is the opposite. I came out of the theater pretty indifferent about the movie. Overall, that's how I still feel about it, but I notice that I have a small grin whenever I think about it and I can't find a bad thing to say about it. The Old Man and the Gun isn't an empty calories movie. It's more like a healthy snack. Other foods may be more filling or taste better, but I don't regret eating it to hold me over.
Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment