Thursday, January 25, 2018

Movie Reaction: Call Me By Your Name

Formula: Lady Bird / Carol

Lucca Guadagnino's latest film can be looked at in a lot of ways. It's an LGBT romance. It's a coming of age story. It's about first love. It's about forbidden love. It's a love letter to the Italian countryside. Depending on how exactly you look at the movie there's a lot to love about the film and plenty to be frustrated by.

The film takes place in the early 1980s. Except for some clothes and music, it could be just about any year though. Seventeen year old Elio (Timothée Chalamet) lives in his family's Northern Italy estate. He has to give up his room for a few weeks when his father, a professor (Michael Stuhlbarg), brings in a research assistant for the summer. The assistant this year is a handsome American named Oliver (Armie Hammer). Elio is attracted to Oliver, although it doesn't appear that he's accepted that about himself yet. Oliver is oozing with confidence and hard to read at first. Eventually, they do admit their feelings to one another and have a brief relationship.

I'm pretty sure I'd adore this movie if I was more in love with the Italian countryside. Guadagnino and cinematographer Sayombhu Mukdeeprom adore the Northern Italy location and shoot it like a heavenly Eden, shielded from the ugliness of the world. If there was a filter called "rose colored glasses", they'd use it for this film. The film has a very relaxed pace, so it can soak the nature and architecture up. Accordingly, the stakes in the film aren't higher than they need to be. Not every story about coming out has to end with the person getting beat up or shunned by everyone he or she knows. Sometimes it can be more of an internal struggle, which is the case with Elio. There wasn't a lot that he was dealing with that I couldn't relate to. I may not know about the fear of coming out, but I do know the fear of opening yourself up to someone you like when you aren't sure if they like you back. I can easily recognize his search for identity. Call Me By Your Name is actually a pretty conservative movie that's hard to dislike. I reminded me of Lady Bird a lot in that way.

It is a pretty idealized movie, and that can be a bit of a problem too. It's almost too easy. I don't think there are any hurt feelings in this movie. Elio's parents always know the perfect thing to say. Every other scene looks like it should be on a postcard. The girl Elio strings along still wants to stay friends. He doesn't just get to say goodbye to Oliver. He gets a dream vacation as a sendoff. He definitely comes from money. Like, old money. This ease didn't ruin the movie for me or anything, but it's probably why I didn't fall harder for it.

A trio of performances carry the movie. Timothée Chalamet is deserving of all the awards attention he's receiving. His non-verbal acting in particular is terrific throughout, although I feel like I'm the only person alive who didn't care for his four minute single-take scene during the credits. My short take on that is that it felt like they were trying too hard to have some "capital A"-Acting. It's good work. I just preferred his less obvious stuff.  Michael Stuhlbarg gets a tour de force scene reminiscent to Michelle Williams in Manchester by the Sea last year. He doesn't do much in the film outside of that scene, but it's a helluva scene. I'm more mixed about Armie Hammer. Beyond the fact that he's a very old 24, he just seems too sturdy. He can't turn his confidence down enough for what some of the scenes require.

I've been going back and fourth on how I feel about this movie. Working for it is the relaxed pace and light plotting. Working against it is that it sidesteps every controversial thing it can. It feels more like a snack than a meal. Maybe a dessert. I think the Sufjan Stevens music ultimately tips the scale in its favor though.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment