Wednesday, January 3, 2018

2017 TV Shows: Top 10, Bottom 10, and Everything In Between

I like making lists. That should be obvious by now. I look for any opportunity to make something into a list. I'll spend hours upon hours building up a spreadsheet just so I have a set of data or a list that I can rank. It's a process that I find valuable. Not because I think that my final order has some real objective value. I get annoyed when year-end Best Of lists begin with some "aww shucks" comment about how these lists don't matter and the author bends over backwards to explain how his/her opinion doesn't matter. First of all, duh. Second, it's not about having a "correct" ranking. The idea behind a ranked list is figuring out what elements carry what value to the person or people doing the ranking.

For my top TV show list, that means comparing things that's aren't similar at all. How does a laugh compare to a tear shed? And how was the laugh or tear earned? For an established series, am I taking it for granted or is it actually getting worse? Should an inconsistent show be rated by its peaks and valleys or where it averages out? By comparing one show to another, I'm able to figure out what I value about a show and why. This is how I like to go about organizing my thoughts. The toughest part is always knowing when to stop. There's no right answer, so there's no way to be finished. The problem then is explaining how I ended up with the order I did.

This 2017 list nearly broke me. There's just not that much difference between any show within 10 spots of another after the first few on my list. There are dozens of shows I want to recommend to people. Small shows that no one watches, big shows that people take for granted, ambitious shows that scare people away, simple shows that people dismiss. This is what I finally ended up with.

A quick clerical point: Where available, I'll include where I ranked a show in previous years. For some context, I ranked 65 shows in 2016; 68 shows in 2015; 47 shows in 2014; 47 shows in 2013. I'm not sure about 2012, but I did make a top 10 for that year. So, being 40th in 2016 is very different from being 40th in 2014. Keep that in mind.

Top 10
Here you go. These are the 10 shows that made my year. The most notable thing about the group is that there aren't a lot of new series on the list. Only one is completely new and it was a last second insert. I don't trust new series and shy away from exalting them early for fear of things falling apart later on, retroactively making the pick look silly. While new series are exciting, I'd rather play the long game. It's a lot easier to be great in season 1 than season 4 or 5.

1. The Leftovers (Season 3)
Previous Rank: #1 - 2015, #5 -2014
Favorite Episode: The Book of Nora
Not only is this my favorite show of 2017. It's my favorite thing of 2017 (TV, movie, time spent with friends and family, etc.)*. I love the world that David Lindelof and Tom Perrotta have created. The third and final season was as crazy and satisfying as anything I've seen in a while. This season alone had a Tasmanian lion hedonist sex boat, a presidential penis scanner, and a Wu Tang Clan tattoo. The lead quartet of Carrie Coon (a national treasure), Justin Theroux, Christopher Eccleston, and Amy Brenneman is the best on TV. I'm going to miss this sad, strange, bold, funny, insane, heartbreaking show.

*Disney Land was pretty great, I ate some delicious wings, and Kelly Clarkson had a new album. I'm still comfortable ranking Leftovers at the top.

2. Master of None (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #7 - 2015
Favorite Episode: Amarsi Un Po
This is the most formally inventive half hour show on TV. Aziz Ansari proved that season 1 was no fluke by making something even better: even more introspective than before and often hilarious. "Thanksgiving" rightly won the Emmy for writing this year, although it's the nearly hour-long "Amarsi Un Po" that stuck with me the most. There's no wrong answer for favorite episode this season because there's so much variety in it. Master of None is Ansari and Alan Yang's crazy little laboratory. Also, bonus points for having a sexual assault in Hollywood story months before it became national news*.

*Note:I know it's been going on for decades. I'm just giving the show credit for not just being reactive to the Harvey Weinstein story.

3. Better Call Saul (Season 3)
Previous Rank: #9 - 2016, #22 - 2015
Favorite Episode: Chicanery
It’s hardly news to anyone watching the show that it’s more than just an excuse to continue Breaking Bad. (And if you aren’t watching, shame on you!) Sure, the Mike Ehrmantraut half of the show that is explicitly a Breaking Bad spinoff, in which Jonathan Banks goes for the record for least word spoken by a major character is great. The real heart of the show is the battle between the McGill brothers that gave us the exceptional courtroom episode, “Chicanery”. Bob Odenkirk. Michael McKean. Rhea Seahorn. Jonathan Banks. There’s no a weak link in this cast.

4. Review (Season 3)
Previous Rank: #8 - 2015
Favorite Episode: Cryogenics, Lightning, Not Reviewing
I know it was only three episodes, but I have to give some love to this little-seen Comedy Central series about Reviewer of Life, Forrest MacNeil. Andy Daly does inspired work in this reality show parody, sketch comedy series in disguise. In a year of series with spectacular endings, the supremely dark, tragically funny end to Review has to be in the discussion for the best one. This is my last opportunity to alert you about this wonderful show. Do yourself a favor and watch it. It’s only 22 episodes in full. That’s less than a Big Bang Theory season.

5. The Good Place (Seasons 1-2)
Previous Rank: #19 - 2016
Favorite Episode: Michael's Gambit
And this is why I always give a Michael Schur show a chance. It was good in 2016. Then came the game-changing finale of the first season in January and it became great. It came back firing on all cylinders this Fall, burning through plot at a shocking pace. We all knew going in that Kristen Bell is an entertaining lead and Ted Danson is a legend (for good reason). Manny Jacinto as lovable Jason Mendoza and D’Arcy Carden as afterlife aide Janet are endless joke machines. Hell, even if you know the big secret, season 2 has proven it’s really damn funny even when you are in on it.

6. Halt and Catch Fire (Season 4)
Previous Rank: #11 - 2016, #25 - 2015, #35 - 2014
Favorite Episode: Goodwill
The first show from the second half of the year. You probably don’t watch Halt and Catch Fire, because if you’ve even heard of it, you probably didn’t make it through the bumpy first season. Your loss. Few shows in recent memory have course corrected so spectacularly. The smartest move was shifting the excellent Kerry Bishe and Makenzie Davis’ Donna and Cameron to the forefront and toning down Don Draper wannabe, Joe MacMillan (Lee Pace). This fourth and final season was deeply emotional without ever feeling manipulative. All I can say is that you’d be wise to watch it to the end.

7. Veep (Season 6)
Previous Rank: #1 - 2016, #2 - 2015, #2 - 2014, #8 - 2013
Favorite Episode: Georgia
Was it a down season for Veep or am I just taking it for granted after 6 seasons? Definitely the former and probably the latter. This is the first season in a while in which the majority of the episodes weren’t the best thing I saw that week. If that’s the ridiculously high bar I’ve set for it, then I’d be a fool to let Veep drop out of my top 10.  Still no show guaranteed a laugh as reliably as Veep. Besides, it still has Selena Meyer, Jonah Ryan, Richard Splett, and countless other great characters. TV viewers are being spoiled by so much in one show.

8. Brooklyn Nine Nine (Seasons 4-5)
Previous Rank: #8 - 2016, #12 - 2015, #4 - 2014, #18 - 2013
Favorite Episode: Your Honor
Every year, I think I’m taking Brooklyn Nine Nine for granted, but past rankings disagree. This is one of the best comedy ensembles on TV. There are endless combinations to exploit. Andre Braugher’s Captain Holt is a Ron Swanson-level comedy weapon. With episodes like “Moo Moo” they’re even moving into more dramatic territory without being any less funny. My only complaint is that nothing in 2017 was as funny as the mumps episode in 2016. For those counting at home, that makes 2 Michael Schur shows in my top 10. I don’t care if I’m predictable.

9. The Americans (Season 5)
Previous Rank: #2 - 2016, #6 - 2015, #7 - 2014, #14 - 2013
Favorite Episode: Dyatkovo
A lot of the very best shows over the last few years had slightly down seasons this year, which has made them tough to rank. The Americans certainly suffered some because it felt like it spent most of this season setting things up for its final season in 2018 rather than arching for this season. Still, no one on TV does being sad and tormented better than Matthew Rhys. Keri Russell did exceptional work showing noticeable cracks in Elizabeth's historically unfaltering allegiance to mother Russia. The show also gets bonus points for continuing to give the teen daughter, Paige (Holly Taylor) more to do without it hurting the quality of the show.

10. American Vandal (Season 1)
Favorite Episode: Premature Theories
I’m sorry, but I have to make room in the top 10 for this Serial-esque parody series. No show centered around finding out who spray painted a bunch of dicks on teachers’ cars should be this well executed, funny in a variety of ways, and able to make me genuinely care about what happens to the characters. Any fan of Serial, Making a Murder, The Jynx, or anything of that ilk should delight in the juvenile spin on genre. The best satire comes from a place of love, and that’s evident in American Vandal. A non-fan couldn’t make something this specific and authentic.

The Other Top 10
Note: This isn't my Next Top 10. This is the other 10 shows that could've been my top 10. Except for the very top spot, I could easily make a top 10 out of these shows and be totally fine with it.

11. BoJack Horseman (Season 4)
Previous Rank: #5 - 2016
Favorite Episode: Ruthie
Don’t read too much into the drop from last year. That was somewhat inflated because I’d binged the whole series that summer. Season four was every bit as good but lacked anything as formally creative as “Fish Out of Water”. This season did give us Andre Braugher as a woodchuck governor with lobster claw hands, a delightful vanity-free Jessica Biel cameo, and tragic episodes that took a look into both depression and dementia. I still don’t understand how this silly animated series both has the most brutal examinations of depression on TV and is absolutely hilarious.

12. Game of Thrones (Season 7.1)
Previous Rank: #10 - 2016, #11 - 2015, #14 - 2014, #5 - 2013
Favorite Episode: "Beyond the Wall"
You know what? Game of Thrones deserves the hype. I’m sorry. I don’t have some hot take about the show. It’s overflowing with performers giving star-making performances. No show has stakes this high. No show has production values this high. Every week is like watching a blockbuster movie. This season (or half-season) definitely had plotting problems. “Beyond the Wall” is emblematic of everything that’s right and everything that’s wrong with the show. Seven years in and the show is paying off all the audience’s patience. Hate the show if you want, but we are watching something special.

13. 13 Reasons Why (Season 1)
Favorite Episode: Tape 6, Side A
Definitely the most divisive of my highly rated shows. I get that there's a lot of problematic stuff about the show. I just don’t care. Once I started watching, I couldn’t stop. This is a show overflowing with great performances, especially from Katherine Langford and Dylan Minnette. There’s a buy-in required up front but it sure as hell pays off by the end. I would’ve found a way to sneak this into my top 10 if not for the news that there’s going to be a second season. The end of season one was pretty perfect. Anything beyond it makes the show significantly less remarkable.

14. Blackish (Season 3-4)
Previous Rank: #13 - 2016, #34 - 2015, #29 - 2014
Favorite Episode: Lemons
Not only is Black-ish a reliable source for new perspectives on tired family sitcom stories. It’s also willing to go after topics no other comedy is willing to touch, like reactions to the 2016 presidential election and post-partem depression. And, it manages to do this while still being gut-busting funny. Few setups are as reliably funny as Dre discussing the week’s issue in the conference room at work. While I almost feel required to pick “Lemons” as the year’s best episode for the sheer boldness of it, I strongly considered the sheer hilarity of the Monopoly episode this fall. Another great year.

15. Girls (Season 6)
Previous Rank: #15 - 2016, #19 - 2015, #12 - 2014, #3 - 2013, #8 - 2012)
Favorite Episode: The Bounce
Girls isn’t the cultural lightning rod it was in its first seasons but it managed to finish exceptionally strong. “American Bitch” was one of the most talked about TV episodes of the year and looks downright prophetic now. “Latching” is one of the more counter-intuitive series finales I’ve ever seen. “What Will We Do This Time About Adam?” was a surprisingly beautiful flashback to earlier seasons. For my money though, it doesn’t get much better than season MVP Andrew Rannells and the Elijah-centric “The Bounce”. I’ll miss this series and its ability to both delight and irritate me.

16. Last Week Tonight (Season 4)
Previous Rank: #16 - 2016. #14 - 2015, #11 - 2014
Favorite Episode: Sinclair Broadcast Group
I never know where to rank this great show, since it’s the only of its type that I regularly watch. It’s always informative and always makes me laugh. John Oliver has taken the best qualities of the Daily Show Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report Stephen Colbert. I’m pretty sure nothing this year got as steady a laugh from me as the segment about the wax presidents he bought or the ongoing saga of the Scranton train. I may not always agree with the points he’s making, but he never fails to deliver those points in thoughtful and funny ways.

17. The Deuce (Season 1)
Favorite Episode: Pilot
I’ll probably say this about the next dozen picks, but this feels way too low considering how much I liked The Deuce. This is the rightful sexual 70’s successor to The Wire from David Simon. James Franco playing twins somehow doesn’t come off as a stunt. Maggie Gyllenhaal - no surprise here - dazzles. The cast is huge and without a weak link. It’s nice to see Emily Meade show up on another great show after she was left behind on The Leftovers. My only actual complaint is that 8 episodes wasn’t enough. I can’t wait to see wait comes next.

18. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Season 1)
Favorite Episode: Pilot
Oh, thank god. Amy Sherman-Pallindino hasn’t lost it. I was worried after the Gilmore Girls revival was so 'meh'. Rachel Brosnahan is an absolute star, able to deliver that fast-paced dialogue every bit as well as Lauren Graham, which isn’t something I say lightly. It’s astounding how well Sharman-Pallindino built this world and these characters in only eight episodes. It’s nice to see Alex Borstein finally get to shine on a Sherman-Pallindino show*, and Tony Shalhoub gets to remind everyone that he’s a comedic weapon beyond what he did for 8 seasons as Adrian Monk.

*She was the original pick for Suki on Gilmore Girls before being recast with Melissa McCarthy. It’s hard to be mad about that.

19. Speechless (Season 1-2)
Previous Rank: #38 - 2016
Favorite Episode: N-I--Nightmars on D-I-Dimeo S-Street
If you can’t tell, I’m a big fan of the ABC family comedies. That's because they are really fucking good. Speechless had the best debut season of an ABC comedy since Modern Family and really picked up steam in the winter/spring half of the season. It does an exceptional job consistently addressing that this is a family with a special needs child without ever losing track of its sense of humor and it never moralizes. Casting Michah Fowler never for a second feels like stunt casting. The only negative thing I have to say about the show is that I don’t like trying to type out the episode titles. I don't get why they are like that and I don't care.

20. The Carmichael Show (Season 3)
Favorite Episode: Shoot-Up-Able
You didn’t watch this show. No one did. You probably weren’t even aware it existed until now. That’s fine. NBC never knew what to do with it and mostly burned it off. I didn’t finally catch up on it until this year. It’s a throwback sitcom in the vein of All in the Family. Every week a new social topic is discussed in depth for the length of the episode. Season 3 covered topics like consent, supporting the troops, and guns. Don't let that scare you though. The show it legitimately very funny. The long focus on a topic allows for the type of earned punchlines that few shows have the opportunity to pull off. David Alan Greir and Loretta Devine are old pros, not to mention that the show includes LilRel Howery and Tiffany Haddish before their breakouts in Get Out and Girls Trip respectively.

The 10 I Wish I Could've Put Higher
This group is dominated by shows that I loved that, frankly, don't need my help. While the idea behind a top 10 (or more) list is to rank quality, inevitably, little shows that I want to champion get some extra love. That leaves a lot of shows that everyone knows are great falling lower than they probably would if all else was even. While these shows are nearing the halfway mark in my list, I still really loved them all.

21. The Middle (Season 8-9)
Previous Rank: #12 - 2016, #13 - 2015, #10 - 2014, #11 - 2013
I’ve said it for years. The Middle, not Modern Family is the real star of the class of 2009. Few family comedies have evolved with the aging of the children as seamlessly The Middle has with the Hecks. This quiet classic is finally feeling its age in the final season. It’s hard to remember how long the show has been on until you see episode titles like “Halloween VIII: Orson Murder Mystery” or “Thanksgiving IX”. I’ll miss this delightful, overlooked gem when it’s gone, although it is time for it. Thankfully, I still have another half season of Sue’s unflappable optimism, Brick’s quirks, and Mike’s perfectly timed moments of action.


22. Legion (Season 1)
Falling from my midyear 6th place show to 22nd now is certainly recency bias at play. Noah Hawley’s take on the X-Men universe is the most visually inventive and crazy show this side of Twin Peaks. The Bolero sequence is among my scenes of the year (if I made such a list). Dan Stevens and Rachel Keller impressed me enough that I’ll happily watch anything with them (except Downton Abbey. I really don’t have the time). Aubrey Plaza is in a role that fits her perfectly. This should be high on my list, but I needed to stop tinkering.

23. Fargo (Season 3)
Previous Rank: #4 - 2015, #1 - 2014
Like Legion, there’s some recency bias hurting Fargo, which aired back in April. That, and the fact that the first seasons are so great that any dip in quality gets amplified. Season 3 lands somewhere between the intimacy of season 1 and the excessiveness of season 2. Ewan McGregor got a lot better when he only had one character to play. David Thewlis became the super-Lorne Malvo. Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Carrie Coon turn this into yet another prestige cable drama that is carried by the female performers. And, remember the Peter and the Wolf episode? That was a lot of fun.

24. Silicon Valley (Season 4)
Previous Rank: #14 - 2016, #5 - 2015, #3 - 2014
Silicon Valley really is the bizarro world Entourage. I don’t buy into this revisionist history that Entourage was always hated by people with “taste”, but I certainly have always enjoyed Silicon Valley more than even peak Entourage. Season 4 relied on the same tricks as previous seasons (everything gets as bad as possible, then they are given a sliver of hope). While still funny, often exceptionally funny, it’s getting predictable (in spirit if not exact plot points). Perhaps the loss of Erlich will shake things up. I sure will miss the feud between Erlich and Jian Yang though. Their beef is up there in Cece and Niles territory.

25. Better Things (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #30 - 2016
This wonderful series lost a couple spots due to the involvement of the now toxic Louis CK (he wrote or co-wrote every episode and was an active producer for the first two seasons). I’ll admit that’s not fair, because this is undeniably star/writer/director/creator Pamela Adlon’s show and voice, but that’s how it is. The show is messy and nasty yet also touching and sweet; just like real life. The trip to Canada. The surreal dance sequence at the end of the season. Two or three of the most emphatic sexual rejections ever recorded. The fake funeral of Sam Fox. So many great moments in an excellent sophomore season.

26. Big Little Lies (Season 1)
Of course I’m going to enjoy a show with Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley, Laura Dern. Zoe Kravitz, Adam Scott, and Alexander Skarsgard. That’s not to mention the excellent young cast including Darby Camp, Iain Armitage, and the recently ubiquitous Kathryn Netwon. Like a couple other shows, I’m penalizing it [unfairly] because I’m mad that they are making a second season, despite wrapping the first story up so well. I love how female focused the cast and storytelling is, although I got bored of the problems of the obscenely rich. That cast though. That cast.

27. The Handmaid's Tale (Season 1)
Elisabeth Moss is exceptional. The rest of the show could’ve been garbage and I still would’ve watched it for her. Add in Yvonne Strahovski, Alixis Bledel, Ann Dowd, and Samira Wiley and you have a series with an embarrassment of talent. The world-building of this dystopia is terrific. The main thing hurting it is that start of the season was so much stronger than the end. That’s a common problem with dystopias: there’s a lot of interesting exposition but the story of how it falls about isn’t as engaging. The Handmaid's Tale is probably the show of the year. The Emmy win would certainly suggest so. I’m curious to find out if it’s going to be another one season wonder or if it has staying power.

28. Stranger Things (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #17 - 2016
Oddly, I think I liked Stranger Things 2 even more. I don’t have an explanation for how it dropped from last year other than lacking the surprise factor of the first season (i.e. we all saw it coming this time). If you ignore Chapter 7, the second season does everything that made the first season so delightful and changed up just enough so it didn’t feel stale. I’m not sure which pairing worked better: more Eleven and Jim Hopper or the surprise joy of the Dustin/Steve duo. They overcorrected the #JusticeForBarb some and also introduced a number of new characters fairly seamlessly, even if they haven’t yet delivered on the promise Billy as a character.

29. GLOW (Season 1)
In 2010, if you’d've asked me, I would’ve predicted that by now Alison Brie would a major part of a big film franchise or have the lead role in a hit comedy or RomCom under her belt by now. Well, that hasn’t quite happened – as much a I love Sleeping with Other People, it wasn’t a hit – but I’ll accept her being a big TV star as a consolation prize. GLOW is an excellent showcase for her talents and puts her front and center. I didn’t know I needed a show about the 80’s female wrestling scene. I do now. Also, Marc Maron shows range I never would’ve predicted from him. And it had a drug-dispensing robot. What’s not to love?

30. Mindhunter (Season 1)
This is the series that breathed life back into the tired serial killer tropes by going back to when they were first being explored. It’s great seeing Jonathan Groff leading another show. Holt McCallany does the “grizzled veteran cop” thing almost too well. Anna Torv joins a setup similar to Fringe but gets a new kind of character to play. Cameron Britton gets one of the more nuanced serial killer roles in years. I’m incredibly curious to see what they do with the BTK Killer next season (or whenever that happens). Oh, and can someone explain to me why Hannah Gross looks so familiar? I can't figure out who she looks like, because I've certainly never seen her in anything else.

The 10 (+17) in the Middle
Do you know what these are? These are good shows. They may not represent the best 2017 has to offer, but I found them all worthwhile.

31. The Vietnam War
I caught the Ken Burns bug hard this year, binging The Civil War, Prohibition, The West, and The Roosevelts early in the year. I was chomping at the bits for this 18-hour epic. You can’t beat the depth and scope of this series. Perhaps the only thing working against it is my sour memories from trying to fit this in in the middle of premiere week this Fall. I enjoyed the early hours the most, when it gave decades of context to Vietnam before the US entered the conflict. I can’t wait to see what’s up next for Ken Burns and Lynn Novak.

32. Saturday Night Live (Season 42-43)
Previous Rank: #32 - 2016, #36 - 2015, #20 - 2014
I made a horrible mistake. I ranked all the shows in 2017 before I went back to look at the best SNL sketches of 2017. The show is very hit or miss (more hit in the spring and miss in the fall). When it’s good though, it’s damn good. The first appearance of Melissa McCarthy’s Sean Spicer is one of the great SNL sketches ever. Remember how they did a whole sketch about the Avatar logo? “Welcome to Hell” was a pretty brilliant response to all the sexual assault news. “Where in the World is Kellyanne Conway?” is a sublime 2 minutes. I’m stopping here, but I could go on for a lot longer.

33. When We Rise
I’m still kind of shocked this chronicle of the gay rights movement got made, for ABC, and aired right in the middle of the Winter TV season. This felt like a vintage network mini-series; the type that no one's made in a decade or two. I was thoroughly impressed with the depth of the story while staying accessible to those not familiar with the story already. While the actors player the older versions of all the characters like Rachel Griffiths, Mary-Louise Parker, Guy Pearce, and Michael Kenneth Williams got all the press, I was actually more impressed with the young cast, including Emily Skeggs, Austin P. McKenzie, and Jonathan Majors. I hope ABC continues doing things like this.

34. Catastrophe (Season 3)
Previous Rank: #28 - 2016
Dammit, England! Make more episodes. Six just isn’t enough. As soon as I start getting in the groove of watching this argumentative RomCom, the season is already over. If nothing else, the third season is worth watching for the episode with Carrie Fisher, who is in peak comedy form shortly before her death. Sharon Horgan and Rob Delaney make for one of the most believable and sometimes nasty couples on TV. I’m especially curious to see what happens next with Rob’s alcoholism relapse. The way this show works though, season 4 could start a year later and not even mention it until episode 5.

35. Feud: Bette vs. Joan (Season 1)
I’m a big fan of stories of old Hollywood. If nothing else, I have to thank this show for leading me to the You Must Remember This podcast. Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange were wonderful as the titular Bette and Joan. Stanley Tucci had too much fun as the foul-mouthed Jack Warner. Jackie Hoffman’s Mamacita was a reliable scene-stealer. Oddly, my favorite side story was that of the wholly made-up Pauline Jameson (Alison Wright), as an aspiring female filmmaker in the 60s. The Oscars of 1963 episode is certainly the highlight of the season. The story fizzled some in the three episodes that followed.

36. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Season 3)
Previous Rank: #29 - 2016, #17 - 2015
I wish I could explain why, but I’ve really cooled on this show from when it premiered. Ellie Kemper is still perfectly cast for the titular role. I had a lot of fun with her adventures in college this year. While I admire how committed Tituss Burgess is to the role, I’m really tired of Titus Andromedon. He’s too much. Jaqueline White is a 90% approximation of Jenna Moroney, but the character doesn’t quite work as well in this world. All that said, the series is a joke machine. Even when I don’t like an episode as a whole, there’s reliably two or three jokes that make me laugh out loud.

37. This Is Us (Season 1-2)
Previous Rank: #27 - 2016
Haters gonna hate, right? I adore the cast, especially Sterling K. Brown, Mandy Moore, and Milo Ventimiglia. Episodes like “Memphis” or the trilogy that ended 2017 were tremendously emotional. I love that a family drama like this is the biggest show on TV. It tells me that Jason Katims is just one good pitch away from a hit show. I think I just resent how cheaply emotionally manipulative it is sometimes. It doesn’t always earn the big moments. They have abandoned many of the “Twist is Us” tendencies of the first season that bothered the hell out of me, but the fact that they keep teasing Jack’s death tells me that they are writing for a much different audience than me.

38. The Last Tycoon (Season 1)
As I said with Feud, I love old Hollywood stories. I’m going to watch show about them even if they are bad. The Last Tycoon was more generic than bad, pulling from a dated “prestige TV” playbook. Matt Bomer is ideal casting for the lead role – a transparent Don Draper type. Kelsey Grammer is at his best with a big character like Pat Brady. I even like Lily Collins as the studio boss’ daughter looking to prove herself. The series doesn't do anything unique or special, but I sure had an easy time watching it. I’m sad that Amazon pulled the plug after one season, even though I won’t be signing any petitions to bring it back. One season might’ve been enough.

39. The Simpsons (Season 28-29)
Previous Rank: #36 - 2016, #42 - 2015)
I rate all the shows in my list in a series of head-to-heads with no idea where anything is placed until the whole list is done. I look at it as an encouraging sign of consistency when shows like The Simpsons stay in the same range year after year. I’m certainly taking The Simpsons for granted. It’s just hard to get excited about another season after nearly three decades. 2017 had a good batch of episodes like "The Serfsons", "22 for 30", "Dogtown", and of course another "Treehouse of Horrors". That’s good enough for me.

40. The History of Comedy
On the plus side, The History of Comedy mixes two of my favorite things: documentary series and comedy. On the other hand, there’s not much here that I haven’t seen before. It’s still nice to see their take on women in comedy over the years, the rise of blue comedy, and the infiltration of comedians’ actual lives into their acts. While I do mostly agree with the points they’re making, it’s hard to avoid rolling my eyes when it inevitably gets to talking heads from comedians about how important what they do is. Really though, CNN could make 50 episodes of this and I’d watch them all.

41. Orange is the New Black (Season 5)
Previous Rank: #26 - 2016, #28 - 2015, #24 - 2014
The prison break idea was a good experiment. Most shows are content doing the same thing over and over again. Not Jenji Kohan. Going back to her Weeds days reminds us that she’s willing to shake anything and everything up on a whim. It’s a shame that this idea didn’t quite work. There weren’t 13 episodes of plot to sustain it and there were plenty of timeline inconsistencies. I’m still curious to see what experiment next season brings. What’s great is that no show has as deep a pool of characters to choose from. There’s always some new pairing or grouping to explore.

42. Fresh Off the Boat (Season 3-4)
Previous Rank: #18 - 2016, #16 - 2015
The evolution of Fresh Off the Boat has been fun to track. No more voice-overs. Eddie is no longer the lead character. Outsiders like Honey and Marvin and Eddie's friends have been rounded out. Evan and Emery have clear personalities. Jessica is still the star and Louis is the rock. I haven’t cared for all the directions the show’s gone in (Less Kenny Rogers and Michael Bolton, please). Episodes that reflect on the Asian American experience like “The Flush” and “The Masters” are  when the show is at its best. Oh, and bravo for fitting the Macy’s Parade massacre of Barney the Dinosaur into an episode.

43. The Last Man on Earth (Season 3-4)
Previous Rank: #22 - 2016, #31 - 2015
Truly no comedy is doing or even attempting what The Last Man on Earth is doing. This year had Melissa’s mental breakdown, Gail getting trapped in an elevator and almost dying, a stand-alone episode with Kristen Wiig and no regular cast members that isn’t given any context for half a season, and a random time jump just for the fun of it. Whenever I reach a point when I can’t put up with Tandy’s antics anymore and think about dropping the show, they do something brilliant that I never saw coming. This is a very acquired taste, for sure. It’s rare that a show can surprise me so consistently though.

44. American Ninja Warrior (Season 9)
Previous Rank: #48 - 2016, #45 - 2015
You take the good with the bad. I fast forward through all the backstory segments for the competitors. I almost always hate whatever ninja-based nickname someone has been assigned. Akbar Gbajabiamila and Matt Iseman’s commentary is often just silly. Then the clock starts and some mountain climber or former gymnast blasts through some obstacle that I can’t even fathom being able to complete. This is reality TV without politicking or questionable eliminations. You either make it through the course or you don’t. I like that. And, find me a more earnest show on TV. It sure would be nice if someone could even get close to winning though. Nine seasons in and only two people have ever completed all four stages. That’s insane.

45. Godless
Unlike a lot of shows this year that should've stopped with one season, I wish Godless could've been designed for more than 7 episodes. This Western revenge series set up a large and interesting world that there wasn't enough time to fully explore. The idea of a Wild West town run by woman alone has several seasons of potential. Great performances by the likes of Michelle Dockery, Merritt Wever, and Scoot McNairy. Jack O’Connell still has trouble standing out in my mind. Jeff Daniels got to chew a ton of scenery in very entertaining ways. And Sam Waterston’s mustache was glorious.

46. Dear White People (Season 1)
Justin Simien and company did an excellent job translating the film of the same name to the small screen. It managed to hold onto a lot of the things that made the movie so entertaining in a more fragmented structure. He populated the university with a great cast for a second time (It’s almost like there’s a lot of talented black actors who have been underutilized for years or something). Moonlight’s Barry Jenkins stepped in for the strongest episode of the season. Even though I liked the show, I did tended to forget about it a lot, often going weeks or months between episodes. I’m not sure how to quantify that, but it’s a bad sign.

47. The Big Bang Theory (Season 10-11)
Previous Rank: #47 - 2016, ? - 2015, #22 - 2014, #19 - 2013
Look. We’re on season 11. The story’s been written about Big Bang. It had a slow start, in part because of the writers strike of 2008. It had a brief window of Emmy love and has been a ratings smash for the better part of a decade. It’s not an inventive show. It’s not trying to be hip. What it is is perhaps the last great multi-cam sitcom, of this era, at least. I never miss an episode because it’s such a well-oiled machine by now that even when it's lazy it's very watchable. I also couldn’t tell you with any certainty what storylines were from the last year. It's not plot-intensive.

48. Bob's Burgers (Season 7-8)
Previous Rank: #44 - 2016, #43 - 2015
I like Bob’s Burgers. I don’t love it. There’s just enough brilliance to keep me watching, but it’s also one of the last things I clear off of my DVR every week. I liked the experimental premiere episode this Fall which used a bunch of fan art for the animation. The voice cast is top notch. Tina, Gene, and Louise are one of the best sets of TV kids. I told myself I’d write about 100 words or more for every show on this list, and I’m struggling to get there with Bob’s Burgers. I just don’t have that many thoughts about it in 2017.

49. Mr. Robot (Season 3)
Previous Rank: #31 - 2016
It’s nice that Mr.Robot stopped trying to be smarter than the audience*. Season 3 was an overall improvement over season 2. Every week was a new experiment for Esmail. Of course, the highlight of the season was the fifth episode, aired commercial-free and shot to look like a single take. It’s hard to not appreciate a show with that kind of ambition. Sadly, I’m watching the show mostly for the direction and performances at this point. I simply don’t care about the story. It’s a muddled mess that I’m happy to ignore. Now, I just pray that they don’t decide to give Tyrell Wellick an entire episode again.

*Sam Esmail can talk all he wants about always assuming the audience would figure the twists out early, but I don’t believe it. Why do it and reveal it like a big surprise if it wasn’t supposed to fool people?

50. Transparent (Season 4)
Previous Rank: #35 - 2016, #20 - 2015
Not every show is built for 10 seasons. Transparent has mostly moved past its original premise by now and hasn’t found any specific thing to fill that void. This season moved things to the Holy Land, which produced settings and stories I’ve never seen in a show before, so that was a relative success. However, none of the main characters had a clear direction and nothing arched as beautifully as the second season flashbacks did. At this point, I like the characters enough that they can get me through any other stumbles. I’d just like for season 5 to have more of a purpose and not exist just for the sake of existing.

51. The Crown (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #43 - 2016
Replacing John Lithgow’s Winston Churchill with more of Matt Smith's Phillip didn’t do The Crown any favor’s in its second season. Calire Foy continues to be stellar as Queen Elizabeth. This just isn’t a topic I care that much about. I don’t care about the royals that much, and the fact that the story is bound by modern history further limits it. I do like whenever Vanessa Kirby shows up as Princess Margaret, and while I don’t care for Phillip as a character, I do like Matt Smith quite a bit. I may look at the transition from Claire Foy to Olivia Colman as Elizabeth as an excuse to jump off next year. Then again, I like Olivia Colman a lot as well.

52. Modern Family (Season 8-9)
Previous Rank: #46 - 2016, #48 - 2015, #21 - 2014, #20 - 2013
It’s fair to say that Modern Family is going through the motions at this point. That’s been true for a number of seasons. “Five Minutes” was a familiar but fun tweak of the formula. I enjoyed seeing Charles Barkley and DeAndre Jordan show up in “Basketball”. The season premiere about the solar eclipse was a fun bit of location shooting. One of my favorite meta-games lately is tracking which Dunphy kid(s) show up in an episode. The same goes for if Manny makes an appearance. They are getting around the classic TV problem of the kids growing up by just ignoring it. That’s as good a way as any to do it.

53. The Flash (Season 3*)
Previous Rank: #56 - 2016
It’s worth noting that I only catch up with The Flash over the Summer, so I’ve only seen the Winter/Spring episodes. Season 3 is a blur to me because I binged it so quickly*, that it’s hard to distinguish the 2016 episodes from the 2017 ones. I’ve completely lost track of all the different Earths there are and any of the timeline mechanics. Here’s what I do remember: This is a really fun cast, even when they are being super serious. That’s why it’s the only one of the CW DC Comic shows I make a point to eventually catch up on.
*I swear, I’m not making speed jokes. There’s just no way to talk about binging this show without it sounding like I’m trying to be cute about it.

54. New Girl (Season 6)
Previous Rank: #40 - 2016, #46 - 2015, #23 - 2014, #15 - 2013
It's been a while since there were any new episodes. And how the hell have there been 6 seasons of this show? There's no way it premiered that long ago. Regardless, this is a cast that’s probably too good for a low-rated niche sitcom at this point. Zooey Deschanel was always a big “get” for Fox. Jake Johnson and Max Greenfield are ready to lead shows from the start. Lamorne Morris should at least be on a show that was designed to include him from the start. I am curious to see what this second attempt at Jess and Nick as a couple will look like. It almost has to be handled better than last time.

55. Girlboss (Season 1)
Britt Robertson and a strong supporting cast almost made this work. I’ve been tracking Robertson down in everything since I saw her in Tomorrowland. Eventually, someone will figure out how to use her right. Ellie Reed should play the best friend in everything from now on. Her enthusiasm in infectious. It reminds me some of Sue Heck. Speaking of The Middle, it’s nice to see Alphonso McAuley showing up in something else. Recurring characters played by RuPaul, Jim Rash, Norm MacDonald, and Melanie Lynskey populated this world nicely. Too bad the show had trouble finding a compelling narrative, challenged the lead character’s likability too much, and ultimately got cancelled before it could figure itself out.


56. Girl Meets World (Season 3)
Previous Rank: #53 - 2016, #30 - 2015, #32 - 2014
It’s hard to be too bothered by this cancellation. The third season sputtered out of control way too often. It lost track of what made it enjoyable in the first place, trying to force more love triangle drama than it could handle. 2017 only had three episodes. One of them was a behind the scenes episode. The finale had some nice cameos but they tried to fit in a half-season arc about moving to London into two or three episodes. It just didn’t work. I’ll miss the potential of Girl Meets World and drunkenly singing along to the theme song every Friday, but I’m fine with it ending.

57. Alias Grace (Season 1)
Maybe it was because I binged it all in one night, but I didn’t care for Alias Grace. It was well-made on a technical level. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anything set in 19th century Canada before, so that was cool. Sarah Gadon was great in the titular role. I’ll certainly be looking for projects with her in the future. I’m also a huge fan of showrunner Sarah Polley’s films. Perhaps I was too distracted by Margaret Atwood’s involvement (co-writer) and tried to compare it to The Handmaid’s Tale. This ranking certainly owes more to a lack of an impression made than me thinking it was bad (although the two are often related).

The Bottom 10
Just remember, I don't keep up with shows I think are awful. Well, not many.

58. The Defenders (Season 1)
I think I might be done with the Marvel Netflix shows. Each show gets diminished returns. Daredevil got tedious by the second season. Jessica Jones sagged massively in the middle of the season. Luke Cage took a nosedive once Mahershala Ali was gone. I didn’t even bother with Iron Fist. The long-awaited Defenders team up was nothing like the joy of finally seeing the Avengers assembled in 2012. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it wasn’t this. Also, it needed a lot more Sigourney Weaver doing Kung fu. They teased us with a little of it then killed her off. I don’t care if it means a lot of awkward cuts to a stunt-double. I want Ridley kicking ass.

59. The Get Down (Season 1.2)
Previous Rank: #55 - 2016
I actually thought the second half of the season, the half that aired in 2017, was an improvement. I’m bumping it down a few spots for wasted potential. And, while it was overall better, there was no moment as purely entertaining as the rap battle at the end of the 2016 batch of episodes. The show was done in by a complete lack of buzz and an extraordinary production cost. Perhaps this means Justice Smith and Shameik Moore will be available for some other great project that will know how to use their charisma and talent better. I do wonder what this show would’ve looked like had they known going in that it would be a single season.

60. Tosh.0
Previous Rank: #59 - 2016, #56 - 2015
I’ve largely stopped watching the show at this point. I’m leaving it on the list because I still saw quite a few episodes. I was going to say that I don’t think Daniel Tosh has his heart in this anymore. Then, I noticed that, at least according to IMDB, he hasn’t been credited as a writer on the show since 2013. That could just be IMDB wonkiness, but it would make sense. The show has felt like it’s on auto-pilot for a while now. While there’s no end to finding funny internet videos, I do think there’s only so many interesting ways to present them.

61. Sherlock (Season 4)
Previous Rank: #60 - 2016, #30 - 2014
What can I say about a season that left little impression on me at the time and was over 11 months ago now? It feels like Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are doing this as a favor for Steven Moffat at this point. Moffat seems to be burnt out from all the Doctor Who and Sherlock (who are two sides of the same character). It’s such a small time commitment that I’ll probably still stick with it whenever it returns. The star power alone makes it worthwhile. The magic is gone though, for me at least.

62. Powerless (Season 1)
I like Vanessa Hudgens. I like Danny Pudi. I like Ron Funches. I like Alan Tudyk. I don’t regret watching this. I knew it was doomed from the start. There was no corporate synergy keeping this alive the way it would if this aired on the CW. It was never quite clever or funny enough and showed no signs of figuring itself out. Hudgens was somewhat miscast, although she showed enough flashes that I’m convinced she could work as the lead in some other comedy. I need more Danny Pudi on my TV. He is too damn good to not be on a great comedy show at all times.

63. Ghosted (Season 1)
I’m mainly still watching this because I don’t know if I could live in a world where a comedy show with Adam Scott, Craig Robinson, and Amber Stevens West isn’t good. So, I’m holding out hope that it improves. So far, the biggest issue I have is that it is the wrong length. A half hour isn’t enough to comfortably do the “monster of the week” thing they are trying to do. Maybe there’s a tweak out there they can find that I don’t see.
Additionally, am I the only one who didn’t realize that Ally Walker wasn’t Felicity Huffman for a really long time?

64. Love (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #57 - 2016
Gillian Jacobs is excellent. Claudua O’Doherty is a true delight. I cannot question its commitment to its premise. But, good god, do I hate the lead characters. Jacobs and Paul Rust are doing great work. They are doing a great job making Mickey and Gus selfish, indecisive, unlikable, and real. That’s the danger of making a show about unlikable characters: You can do too good of a job. This is an uncomfortable show that often makes me want to jump out of my skin. It’s like sour candy. It’s painful but I keep coming back for more. If next season wasn’t going to be the last, I’d be dropping it now. Escalation of commitment is a bitch.

65. The Young Pope (Season 1)
I have no idea how many episodes of this show I watched. I know it wasn’t the whole thing. It wasn’t like I hated watching it either. I simply couldn’t handle it. It’s so aggressively weird and confidently different that it was too much. It’s really like someone pitched a Funny or Die sketch and Paolo Sorrentino decided to take it as seriously as possible without taking out any of the jokes. As someone who didn’t watch Twin Peaks I can safely call this the most baffling thing I saw this year. It’s actually a quality show. I just don’t have the capacity for it.

66. House of Cards (Season 5)
Previous Rank: #37 - 2016, #51 - 2015, #36 - 2014
For the record, I had it this low before the Kevin Spacey stuff happened. I bumped its ranking up last season because the finale got me excited for a new status quo, then season 5 reverted back to the same old thing. I watched most of this season out of completism and listless obligation. I’ve been completely checked out ever since I realized they would never give Frank Underwood a worthy opponent. Well, the sixth and final season is set up pretty perfectly for Spacey’s absence, and I’m incredibly intrigued by the idea of a House of Cards more from Claire Underwood’s perspective.

67.Taboo (Season 1)
I was so excited for this. Tom Hardy is probably my favorite actor by total output over the last decade. FX is battling HBO as the gold standard for original television programming. A stylish 18th century period piece about revenge sounded like a great idea. Sadly, I found everything about the show repellant. It was overly dark and damp. Hardy decided to drop all his charisma. I felt like no one on the set was allowed to smile. This was drudgery made into a TV show. It was a complete slog. Perhaps someone with a higher tolerance for that found a way to love it. As a diehard Leftovers fan, I thought I was one of those people. I’m somehow not.

---------------------------------------------

Here's a couple shows I couldn't find a way to rank. I did watch some or all of them though.

30 for 30
This documentary series is one of the best programs of the last decade. I simply can't watch them all and often lose track of the ones I do want to see. I only caught the series about the 80's Lakers and Celtics and the John Calipari doc in 2017. The former was excellent. The latter was ok.

Bates Motel
I busted my ass to catch up on this show in time for the final season. Then, with only a couple episode left, I lost track of it. I think my DVR messed up one episode then it got lost in the shuffle. Regardless, the end is so key to this series that I couldn't rank the show without having seen the last few episodes. My guess is it would've been in the 40s. Too much of the non-Norma and Norman parts of the show didn't work for me.

Psych: The Movie
Look, I loved getting more Psych and they picked back up without missing a beat. I just can't compare a movie with full seasons. Additionally, since it's so clearly just a super-sized episode rather than a real movie, I couldn't consider this for my 2017 movies list either. Just let it be known that I thoroughly enjoyed this and would love it if this became an annual or semi-annual thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment