Sunday, January 21, 2018

Delayed Reaction: The Gambler

The Pitch: I wonder what it would look like to have Mark Wahlberg play a James Caan role.

The most important disclaimer I can begin this with is to say that not only have I never seen the 1974 The Gambler, I didn't even know that this 2014 film was a remake. That's important because, when I went back to look at some reviews of this film, it was hard to come by a response to the film that didn't begin with a comparison to the James Caan movie. So, like with most adapted or remade films I see, I'm going to respond to this as though it is a completely stand-alone film.
I didn't care for this movie. I gave it a chance 90% for Brie Larson, 5% for Mark Wahlberg, and 5% because there's always a chance that an unassuming movie could be really good. That hope did not pay off. The only way I can describe it is that some movies are too generic to function. You know what I mean? It's when a film is about a specific topic, but it doesn't feel like the screenwriter researched the topic at all. The world of the film doesn't feel like it exists one inch beyond what's the camera shows. That's how I fell about this movie. I think it's best encapsulated by all the basketball in the film. Walhburg is watching a game that is "Wildcats" vs. "State". That makes no sense. That's a mascot vs. a generic school name. At least "Tech" vs. "State" would show the smallest amount of effort. The school for the Wildcats, where Wahlberg works isn't even named. When Wahlberg goes to talk to the basketball player in the practice gym, the banners are for regional championships in badminton and table tennis. The degree that the basketball player who is rigging the game controls everything on the court is video-game level unrealistic. This is a little more in the weeds, but the player also mentions that his coach told him it would be better for his future in the NBA - I'm sorry, they just say 'professional'. Saying "NBA" would be far too committal for this movie - to stay for his senior year. That's not a thing in basketball, not really. Also, the player talks about going pro during what seems like the middle of the season like that's a thing that commonly happens (It's not). All of this is is a fairly minor part of the movie. I point it out because it's emblematic of the film as a whole. No attempt was made to make this fit how the world actually works today. I could just as easily pick at how unbelievable this money loaning underworld is or Wahlberg is as a professor. I don't believe this world at all. 
It's way too much 'tell' and not nearly enough 'show'. Walhberg tells us that Larson is the only writer in his class with potential*, but do we ever get proof of that? Walhberg tells people a lot of times about his gambling addiction, but I never believe it in the moment. Nothing about his performance when he's gambling screams "compulsion". It just seems like he's irresponsible, which makes it really hard to root for him. I'm not sure if I believed Walhberg and Larson as an romantic item or Walhberg as a Hank Moody-esque self-destructive literary genius less.

*Btw, is this the beginning of the semester or most of the way through? And isn't this a 100 level lecture class? Of course no one is actually a gifted writer in that class.

...I just need to stop here. I don't have anything positive to say. This is the most thinly drawn film I've watched in a while. It's lazy in the details and repetitive in the larger story. Beyond Jessica Lange, who uses every trick she has to carve a real performance out of the little bit she's given, none of the characters are interesting enough to root for or even want to follow. The fact that it's actually pretty easy to watch belies all the problems it has. It's almost like this story was written in the 70s then never updated to fit modern times.
Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment