Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Delayed Reaction: What We Do in the Shadows

The Pitch: Mocumentary about vampires.

I'll admit that I was skeptical about this film. I just didn't believe all the praise I'd heard for it. There's two reasons for this.

1) I'm not a big fan of what I've seen of Flight of the Concords. Jemaine Clement's involvement in this film had me looking at this as an extension of show.

2) Housebound was another New Zealand horror comedy from 2014 with a great deal of praise and I was completely unimpressed by it.

I've heard enough praise for Taika Waititi's other films though and his hiring to direct the new Thor* movie made it so I really had to give the movie a chance. It became an inevitability. And I'm glad it was. This is a very enjoyable movie. The mockumentary style is used perfectly and consistently. It's packed with jokes without getting repetitive. There's even a real story to it. Best of all, it's packed into an efficient <90 minute runtime. I'm not sure where exactly it ranks among Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (a film I adore perhaps too much) and Cabin in the Woods in the best horror comedy rankings, but it belongs in the discussion. I have no complaints about the film. It's an excellent execution of a well thought out premise. And very funny.

*You'll notice that I wrote this before Ragnorok came out. Well before, actually. I could've updated this, I suppose. I really don't like rewriting this long after the fact though. 

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment