Thursday, May 12, 2016

Club 50 Wrap-Up: 1991

Years Completed:
1987 | 1988 | 1989 | 1991 | 1995 | 1996 | 1998 | 1999 | 2001 
2002 | 2003 | 2005 | 2007 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013
 
Another year down. Another early one too. I was convinced for a while that I'd be finishing each year in nearly reverse order. I'm not sure how '91 jumped ahead. I'm glad it did.

On the sequel chart, this was a pretty standard year. Six of the movies were sequels (plus a Disney reissue of 101 Dalmatians). 11 of the top 50 have had sequels made since then. It's even been long enough to have a remake of one (Point Break).

A less typical stat is that all five of the Oscar nominees that year made not only the top 50, but the top half of that, wtih Bugsy (#25) as the lowest grossing of the five. Special too is that Beauty and the Beast holds the distinction of being the only animated movie during the five nominee era to be nominated for best picture, which is pretty cool (and deserving).

Satire and parody had a good year. The Naked Gun 2 1/2 and Hot Shots! were there to represent the lowbrow. Soapdish went a big more realistic. And L.A. Story found a different was to be absurdist.

While perusing the list, I noticed something which I don't think is all that common. Three different actors showed up in three different movies (as a lead in two of them) that made the top 50. Those three actors are Julia Roberts (Sleeping With the Enemy, Dying Young, Hook), Robin Williams (The Fisher King, Hook, Dead Again), and Steven Martin (L.A. Story, Father of the Bride, and Grand Canyon). Those three certainly kept busy and people were happy to indulge.

To wind down each year as I complete them, I'm going to hand out a few superlatives or anecdotal awards to highlight some of the highs and lows of the year's top 50 box office earners.

First Seen: Beauty and the Beast
A beautiful movie and it still holds up.

I expected to dislike this much more than I did.

Happiest Surprise: Dead Again
This is my favorite superlative. There's nothing better than a movie catching you completely off guard and being really good. Dead Again has been my go-to example of a movie I never would've watched without this Club 50 list that I ended up loving. It's a weird an delightful movie with a great cast. I'd also like to mention the criminally underrated The Rocketeer, the bizarre and sweet L.A. Story, and Other People's Money, which nailed its ending.

Biggest Disappointment: Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
That Johnny Depp cameo didn't save this from being just as forgettable as the last three movies.

Looked Better Then: JFK
By now, I'm pretty convinced that there was no conspiracy, which is fairly essential to the film. Also, I associate it more with a Seinfeld joke than an Oscar nomination.

Looks Better Now: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze
If not for the fact that it has that Oscar nomination, the enduring affection for Beauty and the Beast would make it deserving of the title. Instead, I'm going to to with The Secret of the Ooze because, well, this movie has no business being remembered still, and it is affectionately (if not ironically).

Favorite: Terminator 2: Judgment Day
This is one of the perfect action movies. It's one big chase scene with fantastic set pieces. Arnold Schwarzenegger is in peak movie star form and Linda Hamilton has never been better. It's a shame that James Cameron doesn't churn out movies at the rate he used to.

2nd Favorite: Beauty and the Beast
If you want to call this the greatest Disney Animated feature ever, I couldn't argue with you.

3rd Favorite: Father of the Bride
This is the movie that introduced me to Steve Martin and it is one of my favorite Rom Coms.

Honorable Mention:
There's an earnestness to this movie that is lost in the superhero movies made these days.

Dead Again
I knew nothing about this movie going in and I'm so thankful for that.

The Silence of the Lambs
Forget about the sequels. Let's just pretend there's 1986's Manhunter, then this, then Brian Fuller's excellent 2013 Hannibal TV Show.

I know I like it, but I'm going to need a few more viewings before I can understand why.

Least Favorite: Out for Justice
For all the movies I liked this year, 1991 sure was a convergence of a lot of trends I didn't like as well. I hate the lazy joke barrage of Hot Shots! and even The Naked Gun 2 1/2. The Prince of Tides continues my habit of not enjoying Barbara Streisand movies. I'm annoyed by how much Jean Claude Van Damme can't get enough of himself in Double Impact. How could I choose anything other than Steven Seagal? God, I hate his movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment