Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Out for Justice

The Pitch: Take the Steven Seagal movie formula (and believe me, by his fourth movie there was a formula) and make him a Brooklyn cop.
How I Came Into It: I'm only recently becoming acquainted with Seagal's movies having never had a reason to seek them out before this list. I think there is an importance to seeing these movies to understand what was trending at that time in movies.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Seagal has some good moves and he certainly likes to show them off. Part of me can't help but appreciate how transparent his movies are both in why he wants to make them and how he tries to play the characters. And, there is a puppy. No matter what else happens there is a puppy, although I can't think of a more obvious way to try to trick an audience into caring about a character. The dog adds nothing to the plot. It's there only to soften Seagal.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm going about seeing Seagal's movies in the wrong way, watching them out of order and often edited for TV. The latter is especially a problem since the super violence is what he's about. I am a firm believer that the cream always rises though. Even bad cuts of good movies work well enough to make me want to seek them out otherwise. I will not be seeing this again. Seagal is simply too limited as an actor to carry my attention, the story is too heightened to be tenable, and the action scenes did little for me. I still have a number of Seagal movies left on my list, so this is only going to get rougher.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment