Friday, April 10, 2015

Delayed Reaction: City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold

The Pitch: Remember all the fun of City Slickers? Let's do it again in functionally the same way.
How I Came Into It: I'm fond of the first movie. It's not a favorite or anything. It's a reminder of why I like Billy Crystal and it has a great sense of fun. I can't blame anyone for wanting to make a second movie, even if the premise was exhausted by the first movie.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Billy Crystal is still amiable as ever. Daniel Stern, there's someone you just don't see much anymore. It's good to bring him back. From Bruno Kirby to Jon Lovitz is a lateral move at best, but the shakeup keeps things fresh. I liked the ending, as unsurprising as it was. Let me clarify. I didn't see it coming that it was all part of a Wild West vacation package. I did figure they'd find the real gold. This is perfectly good filler.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Here's a question I've been asking myself more and more the deeper into this list I get: Under what circumstance would I watch this again? For some of these sequels (Santa Clause 3 comes to mind), the answer is an emphatic "never". You see, if I'm in the mood for something like this, I'll watch City Slickers. There's nothing about this that's better than the first movie and not enough that's different. I didn't not enjoy the movie. I just found it inconsequential.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment