Thursday, April 9, 2015

Delayed Reaction: On Deadly Ground

The Pitch: There needs to be a movie about being environmentally conscious that has a lot of explosions too.
How I Came Into It: "Wait, wait, wait. Steven Seagal directed this too? Now that I have to see" -My internal dialogue when I heard about this

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is the ultimate Stephen Seagal movie. Not the best. Not the most entertaining. The ultimate Steven Seagal movie, meaning that it doesn't get more Steven Seagal than this. Cheesy one liners. Bar fights. Hammy villains. Hammy everything, for that matter. If you like Steven Seagal movies, it's hard to call this anything but essential.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Steven Seagal was actually a thing at one point. Like, something that people watched. Always a punchline, but one that people saw. That's a sad truth (not to say there aren't reprehensible trends now too). This veers into "so bad that it's good territory" as it's nothing but explosions and fight scenes until the end, when it goes for broke with Seagal delivering a speech about the importance on conservation. It's nearly unfathomable the level at which this takes itself seriously and doesn't simultaneously. I've got a stack of Seagal movies left to watch and I'm not looking forward to them.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment