Thursday, April 23, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Mo Money

The Pitch: Think, The Secret to My Success but played by a Wayans brother.
How I Came Into It: Pretty blindly. Here's the thing about Damon Wayans that I've learned from several seasons of My Wife and Kids: he's likable. No matter what he's doing, I'm going to like that he's the one on camera.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I was surprised by how direct and simple the movie was. Wayans likes a girl, gets a job to work with her, commits some credit card fraud, cons his way out of it, happy ending. No, it didn't actually make me laugh, but I like Wayans and whichever brother he got to show up (Marlon). Pre-Clueless Stacy Dash is there too. I'd certainly watch it again.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: At the same time, I won't go out of my way to watch it again either. The aim of the movie looks to be comedy, so not laughing at it isn't a good thing. It's a little hard to root for Damon Wayans' character when you really think about it, which only affirms the wiseness of the casting decision.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment