Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Movie Reaction: Ex Machina

Formula: Under the Skin + A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Why I Saw It: The preview looked interesting and the casting was on point.

Cast: Essentially, it's a three person cast. I love Domhnall Gleeson from About Time. I love Oscar Isaac from Inside Llewyn Davis. I liked Alicia Vikander's work in Anna Karenina, even if I didn't love the movie. I know what all three are capable of and they stepped up to the challenge with this one.

Plot: Caleb (Gleeson) wins a contest that sends him to a remote research facility of billionaire genius Nathan (Isaac). Caleb is assigned to test the A.I. of a robot, built by Nathan called Ava (Vikander). Rather quickly into this, Caleb realizes two things: 1) Nathan isn't telling him everything and 2) Ava is one hot robot. It's a slow burn story and it doesn't try to do too much in the relatively short run time. I can say that it ending up surprising me and also going where I expected at the end. I'm still not sure how that happened.

Elephant in the Room: But is there any dancing? Of course there's a dancing scene! All I can say about it is that it comes out of nowhere, cuts the tension better than just about anything I've seen in a movie, and is pretty glorious. Oscar Isaac's got some moves.

To Sum Things Up:
I liked this movie a lot. It's simple. The story is clear and interesting. The actors are all doing good work. It ends up feeling a little familiar by the end, but it has a couple good gut punches that kept me engaged regardless. It's rather violent at times and it has some pretty stark nudity. I guess that should be noted. Beyond that, I can't think of any big deterrents about the movie. Don't let the slick visuals confuse you. This is a SciFi movie but with a more meticulous, indie movie feel. Kind of like the inverse-Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment