Thursday, April 16, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Snow Dogs

The Pitch: There's this Gary Paulsen book about the Iditarod that I think would make a great comedy starring...who's available?....Cuba Gooding Jr!
How I Came Into It: I saw Eight Below. That's, like the same thing, right? Both about sled dogs, both made by Disney. I'm pretty sure they even used some of the same dogs. Cuba Gooding Jr. has spent the better part of his post-Oscar career making head scratching choices for roles and this gets lost in the list of Boat Ships and Daddy Day Camps.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) If you are going to make a stupid movie, own up to it. Snow Dogs does just that. It's very slapstick. The plot is simple and straightforward. The cast is aware that they are playing for kids here and doesn't belabor anything. I even learned a little (very little) about dog sledding.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It is a stupid movie. Knowing that it is only makes it more tolerable. And, I'm sorry, I still can't get over this being inspired by a Gary Paulsen book. Now I can't stop imagining Rob Schneider in Dogsong, or Hatchet, starring Corbin Bleu. Thanks for that, Disney.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment