Friday, May 6, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Other People's Money

The Pitch: Let's make Wall Street again, but without a villain.
How I Came Into It: I didn't know very much about this other than it was quite difficult to find. For the most part, it's hard to be disappointed by a Danny DeVito movie, so that was encouraging.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) The end of the movie is completely what sold me on it. Until the shareholders meeting, this was pretty pedestrian. Then Gregory Peck and Danny DeVito gave their speeches.  That won me over. Both are given reasoned arguments and nothing is done at the end to make DeVito evil or desiring redemption. He's just going to keep on being who he is, even though he recognizes that not everyone is going to be pleased by his actions.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Until the shareholders meeting, there's not much to this. I don't buy DeVito and Penelope Ann Miller as a couple at all. That's wish fulfillment, not casting. And, this might just be an issue with my copy of the movie, but why did all of Miller's early scenes sound like she was doing bad ADR for every line?

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment