Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Delayed Reaction: The Exorcist III

The Pitch: We're going to make a Zodiac killer movie but call him something else and add an exorcism.
How I Came Into It: Look, The Exorcist was an accident. It had no business being as good as it was or as successful. Plain and simple. It took everyone by such surprise that studios didn't know what to do with it. The Heretic is a complete mess because of that. The Exorcist III went through production hell because the studio didn't know how to monetize the franchise.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is absolutely an improvement on The Heretic. It had to be. It's clear that the movie is trying to go in a different direction than the first two movies. On its own, that's interesting, and George C. Scott is probably too good to be doing this movie (granted, one look at his late career on IMDB tells you he wasn't in high demand).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I didn't need to read the Wikipedia page to tell that the production had issues. The whole movie plays like one big studio note. It's mildly scary in all the lazy ways, like people jumping out of camera-blind corners for no reason. I was more bored than I should've been while watching this.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment